• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Rowing Towards Success: Harvard and the University of Washington

Two Stallions are set to attend top NCAA Division I universities for an atypical Southern California sport.

Keira Cox (12) and Chloe Sorensen (12) are taking their rowing careers to the collegiate level. Cox committed to the University of Washington and Sorensen has signed to row for Harvard-Radcliffe, Harvard University’s women’s rowing team.

The niche sport allows amazing opportunities due to the sparse amount of athletes who participate in it. 

“I started rowing sophomore year, before I played volleyball but I felt I wanted to push myself more and my friend was a senior on the team and committed to USC and said I had potential to play for the big leagues. Shortly afterward, I asked Keira to join since she had hurt her knee from soccer and she was unable to continue playing,” said Sorensen.

The uniqueness of the sport allows people with injuries or physical restraints to compete competitively at high levels.

“I had played soccer since I was three but injured my leg and femur to the point where I wasn’t able to continue field sports. After surgery, my doctor recommended low-impact sports that I could try. In 2021 I decided to try rowing. I was intimidated by the three-hour days, six days a week but [I] fell in love with the sport and made such strong connections with my teammates,” said Cox

Undergoing recruitment by collegiate programs for high school athletes comes with hardship. The process is different for each athlete and no two stories are the same. 

“I had two offers at this time but had my heart set on one particular school. They had told me I was a great fit for their program and I had high hopes I would be able to work for a spot in their recruiting class. I was heartbroken when the coach texted me this Fall saying they were going to stop recruiting the class of 2024. Going to practice became difficult as it felt like everything I had worked for was for nothing. My teammates helped me realize I had offers from amazing schools and pushed me to continue to work hard for myself. I decided to accept my offer from University of Washington and am so excited to be a Husky!” said Cox. 

Countless hours of practice and training is required to get to the level where Sorensen and Cox are. The success they have achieved does not come easy. Since SJHHS does not have a rowing team, both Stallions dedicate lots of their free time to their sport. 

“Rowing is a very time-consuming sport. From Monday to Friday, 3:45 to 6:30 and weekend practice is from six o’clock to nine. Driving to Newport Beach takes 40 minutes, 35 if you’re lucky to go on the toll road. You rarely have time to hang out after school with your school friends. In the end, everyone there has the same goal as you, to be the best we can be and that hard work pays off,” said Sorensen.

In addition to the opportunity to attend and row competitively at Division I schools, these Stallions have made friendships through rowing. 

“I have made lifelong friends out of my incredible teammates who help me get through every hard day. The sport is so unique because we are all very competitive but at the same time completely support one another and are happy for each other’s successes,” said Cox

Sorensen and Cox’s hard work and dedication helped them get into NCAA programs that suit each of their individual needs.

“Harvard-Radcliffe Rowing has an amazing team and there is no other college I would want to represent more than them,” said Sorensen

“Both Men’s and Women’s UW [University of Washington] Rowing placed 2nd out of every collegiate rowing school last year. The school itself has a gorgeous campus but is surrounded by the city which is something I have always wanted. UW’s medical program is ranked extremely highly which is the path I am planning on taking. I’m also extremely excited about the school spirit and recent success in football,” said Cox

Big things are in store for Sorensen’s and Cox’s rowing careers as they will continue to achieve great things at their respective universities.