Foley Field Trip

Students of Brian Devaney’s Video Production class took a trip to Chapman’s Dodge College to view their largest and most profound sound studio.

Kayla Greer, Staff Writer

Foley editing is most well known as the reproduction of noises in order to provide film and media with the sounds necessary to create a well-rounded story.

Brian Devaney, film and media teacher at SJHHS saw the interest of Foley in his TV Broadcasting class, and when one student suggested a trip to a real sound studio, he began planning a field trip to Chapman University’s Dodge College of Film and Media to show his pupils the real magic behind the microphone.

The class arrived early in the morning, excited to experience their future’s firsthand. Students were led into a lobby where questions ranging from general to specific were answered by real students involved in Chapman’s prestigious media and music programs.

The students were then lead on a walk through the college village to the Dodge campus. Senior member of TV Broadcasting, Troy Medeiros explains that, “The class had a special interest in Foley and wanted to see how it was created.” He said that the class as a whole was excited to learn about what the school had to offer.

A tour guide met the class, introduced himself as Nick Walker, and explained his history with the school. As a film and directing major in his third year of college, Walker teaches Devaney’s students about Chapman’s ideals of personal teaching.

Chapman’s average student to teacher ratio stands proudly at fourteen to one. The staff encourages individuality and grants all rights to media work to the creators. He says, “Storytelling, at its core, is definitely a more personal thing.”

The class came out of the trip satisfied with the information they received and with the knowledge that Chapman is a family, and alumni stay connected years after graduation, and onward.