• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

New Creative Writing Class at SJHHS

Rowan Noonan
Caitlyn Naccarato advertises her flier for the new Creative Writing elective class offered next year at San Juan Hills High School. Naccarato is taking sign ups for next year’s class in room J201.

Writers, get excited for the new course coming next year! SJHHS is now joining Aliso Niguel in providing a Creative Writing course to students.

“This elective was recently within the last year approved by the district to be an accredited course towards graduation,” said English teacher Kaitlin Naccarato.

San Juan Hills previously had a creative writing club led by Naccarato which will now be expanded into the elective class. 

“I haven’t taught this class specifically as a course, however, I have been the advisor for the writing club on campus back in 2016 to 2017,” said Naccarato.

Naccarato will be the only teacher of this course next year depending on the amount of student interest and sign ups.

“Hopefully we will get enough interest to get at least get one class going,” said Naccarato.

Naccarato usually teaches Honors English I and Expository Writing. In her class she introduces many creative writing skills such as narrative writing and poetry. 

“I have experience with teaching this subject in smaller doses. I’ve had as many units as I can within my own English classes that encompass flash fiction and narrative writing,” said Naccarato.

Class periods and schedules have not been sorted out yet by guidance and admin. It is known that Creative Writing will not be credited as an English class but will cover topics related to writing.

“We might dive into a couple of different genres. We will primarily focus on fictional writing. We will possibly write some screenplays if we have students showing interest.We will be looking at poetry and narratives in regards to typical short stories and literature writing as well as fiction writing,” said Naccarato.

In terms of reading material in this class, there won’t be much. Novels will not be the focus of this course.

If you are someone who is interested in Creative Writing, be sure to reach out to Naccarato this semester.