• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Link Crew Returns to SJHHS

Stallion Startup re-affiliates with the Link Crew organization.
Photo Courtesy of Tatum Moos
Link Leaders pose for a photo in front of the “Campus Tours” sign at the Stallion Showcase on February 3rd. Link Crew volunteers gave tours of the campus to incoming freshmen for the 2024-2025 school year.

SJHHS’ incoming freshmen program is now nationally accredited. This changes what has been known for the past two years as Stallion Startup, back to Link Crew.

In order to be accredited to the official Link Crew organization, advisors must complete the formal training of the nationwide program. Through the years, San Juan Hills has had trained and untrained advisors. When advisors at San Juan were not officially trained, SJHHS had to create its own version of the program known as Stallion Startup.

English teachers Tatum Moos and Christina Santala took over the job of Link Crew advisers last year and attended the required training in December. This now makes Link Crew officially part of San Juan Hills, and brings some changes to the program. 

“It looks better on college applications because, for the most part, people know what Link Crew is, but colleges don’t know what Stallion Startup is. It also gives us a little more of a formality,” said Santala.

It looks better on college applications because, for the most part, people know what Link Crew is, but colleges don’t know what Stallion Startup is. It also gives us a little more of a formality”

— Christina Santala

The main goal of Link Crew is to help ease the transition into high school for incoming freshmen students. Link Crew organizes and hosts events and activities to help freshmen adjust to high school by learning all the ins and outs of San Juan Hills, meeting new people, and gaining a better sense of community.

“I like to think of Link Crew as bridging the gap from middle school to high school. They’re coming in as 8th graders, they don’t know a whole lot about the school, and Link Crew is a really good opportunity for freshmen right away to be welcomed into the culture on our campus,” said Santala.

The duo hopes to solidify Link Crew as a year-long program, not just ending after freshmen orientation.  They also want incoming freshmen to connect with their Link Leaders and plan for the leaders to offer academic support as well, not just social and emotional.

“We have all these fun events, but we don’t have a lot of academic intervention right now, so we want to try and incorporate as much of that as we can and that will definitely be able to happen next year with more leaders and smaller group sizes,” said Moos.

Juniors and seniors have the opportunity to join Link Crew beginning the summer before junior or senior year. Senior Sara Rinkel joined Link Crew last year. Although online due to COVID-19, Rinkel had a positive experience being in a group with Link Crew leaders during her freshman year and was inspired to join the program when she became an upperclassman.

“I found my freshmen leaders were super helpful. I would text them if I didn’t know anything or just questions and they would always be super nice,” said Rinkel.

Applications to join Link Crew will be available in late March through teacher recommendations and social media, as well as advertising around campus. This is a great program equipping student leaders with broadened social skills, an addition to resumes and college applications, and an opportunity to help incoming freshmen adjust to life in high school.