• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Environmental Science Class Explores Newport Estuary

Mylan West
Griff Panchak (12), Cayla Chen (12), Sophia Salib (12), and Emma Gibson (12) were guided through the Newport wilderness, showcasing the impact that runoff and graffiti can have on the natural environment.

Students enrolled in AP Environmental Science got the opportunity to visit the Newport Estuary the week falling after Thanksgiving Break. Stallions went canoeing, hiking, and explored the Newport Back Bay.

“My favorite part of the field trip was the canoe portion. It was really fun to be able to see different parts of the estuary, while paddling with my friends,” said junior San Juan Hills High School student Sage Borst.

Many students enjoyed the adventurous aspect of the field trip. Paddling alongside classmates provided a unique experience on the estuary’s diverse landscapes.

Students grasped a clearer understanding of estuaries and their ecosystems. An estuary is the tidal mouth of a large river, where the tide meets the stream.

“I learned a lot about how we’re affecting the environment and how important it is to preserve habitats. It definitely made me realize just how much needs to be done to protect the environment and how bad things have already gotten,” said Ciena Britschigi.

This field trip served as an eye-opener, showing students the amount of plastic litter that defiles the environment as they canoed through the Back Bay.

“It really helped me to see how the organisms in the estuary were impacted by human actions. This increased my awareness on why it is important to preserve and help these ecosystems thrive,” said Borst.

The trash buildup throughout the bay affects the wellness of migratory bird species. Many other animal species depend on these essential habitats and their maintenance is imperative. 

“I would definitely recommend this field trip. A lot of people in my class had a great time and were very happy with all the activities presented,” said Borst.

This annual field trip was a memorable experience for many students that provided a better understanding of estuaries as final exams come up.