Aliso Niguel High School takes on The Thirst Project

Olivia Farber, Opinion Editor

Students at Aliso Niguel high school are trying to raise enough money to build a well in Swaziland by the end of this school year, in partnership with the Thirst project.

The project was founded by Seth Maxwell in 2008, and is the World’s leading youth water crisis organization. They work with schools, businesses, and other organizations to raise money to build wells in Africa for multiple villages to share.

Aliso Niguel high school is the first CUSD school to join and actively be a part of the Thirst Project.

A student at Aliso Niguel, Savi Nasiri (11) was first introduced to the project after speaking with the Thirst Project’s director of clubs, Evan Wesley, at Vidcon this past summer.

She then introduced the Thirst Project club to Aliso Niguel high school.

“Once the rest of ANHS’ ASB had been introduced to the project at an Orange County Leadership camp in Santa Barbara, we all knew we wanted to be apart of the change,” says Nasiri.

Their goal is to raise enough money to beat $12,000, which is the standard amount to build a well.

To raise the money, they are currently selling water bottles at events and the proceeds go to building the well.

“We also going to introduce other ways to raise money later this year,” says a student at Aliso Niguel high school, Xiadani Vazquez (12).

Ultimately, their goal is to educate others about the global water crisis and raise money to help put an end to the issue.

Nasiri says, “There will be several events coming soon towards this cause, and we are all extremely excited to be apart of such an amazing organization.”