• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Four Stallions at Flag Football Championships

Sydney Hogancamp
South OC Wave 17u girls team smiles as they were honored on stage in Orlando, Florida. The team has four players from San Juan Hills, one player from Trabuco Hills, and one player from Mission Viejo High School all coming together to represent the Los Angeles Rams.

Girls flag football has exploded onto the scene within the past year, considering the fact that it became an official CIF sport in 2023. Four SJHHS varsity players also play for a newly established club team, South OC Wave. 

“We had been practicing two times a week in pouring rain. It was pouring and we were still outside playing. We were practicing, conditioning, granted we only had six players so it was going to be a lot of time on the field for every single one of us. We were mentally and physically ready,” said receiver and cornerback Sydney Hogancamp (11). 

After winning the Los Angeles Rams Regional Tournament in November the Southern California team clinched a flight to Orlando, Florida. The NFL Flag Championships at the Pro Bowl, or nationals, were held in the Sunshine State. To qualify for the event, a team must win regionals which took place in November of 2023, a few months prior to nationals. 

The 17 and under team faced teams from Mexico to Arizona in regional play all competing to represent the Rams at Orlando.

“We didn’t know that Florida was a possibility. That [regionals] was our first time playing together, we threw together a random team. It was definitely surprising and it was really cool,” said receiver and linebacker Cailyn Hill (11). 

The Wave did not have the greatest showing at nationals which was likely due to their club being a new one. Additionally, they faced teams that have been established for years. 

“The OC Wave started in November, two weeks before the Rams Regional. So our coach basically put four girls from San Juan Hills [High School] and was like; ‘Let’s try to take this further than high school and see where it takes us. I’m going to get two more girls to come and play with us,’” said Hogancamp.

There were some bright spots in the tournament for the SoCal team. 

“I think our defense was the highlight of the tournament for sure. I don’t think we let a team get past us most of the time, short yardage wise. I don’t think we played bad, but I just think we don’t have as much experience [with each other] as other teams,” said Hill.

It’s just to grow the game for the younger girls. I think our team is now expanding and we are hopefully going to offer that for younger girls. Growing the game for females and flag, I think that is the most important part, giving younger women the same opportunity we have at the moment.”

— Sydney Hogancamp

The Pro Bowl games is an event that features the best players in the National Football League (NFL) playing in football events. The Wave played in the Flag Championships over multiple days prior to the Pro Bowl games. 

“It was so fun. It was a lot of playing, we played like three games in a day. We got to watch other people play. It was definitely a lot of work but it was such a great experience,” said cornerback Parker Mischel (10). 

The experience as a whole however was not just only playing football, but also featured team bonding and meeting some NFL stars. 

“Florida was super fun. I feel like the team got to know each other so much better than we already were. It was such a good experience because it was an opportunity to meet so many new people. We met DK [Metcalf] and Puka Nacua and all these other people, it was such a good opportunity to have,” said rusher and linebacker Makayla Barry (10). 

Aside from winning and success, contributing to the thriving of girls on the football field is essential for the players. 

“It’s just to grow the game for the younger girls. I think our team is now expanding and we are hopefully going to offer that for younger girls. Growing the game for females and flag, I think that is the most important part, giving younger women the same opportunity we have at the moment,” said Hogancamp.