Problems with Online Resources Lead to Book Distribution

Physical books still a reality in age of online learning.

Jack O'Connor

A student checks out his new textbook for the 2020-2021 school year. During textbook distribution, students and staff were required to wear masks and be socially distant from one another.

Sandhya Ganesan, News Editor

Administrators acted quickly to set up a book distribution schedule last Thursday after complications arose with access to online resources and as students asked for physical textbooks

Initially, there were no plans to distribute books.

“Our default position for this school year is that we are not distributing textbooks,” said Darrin Jindra in an email to staff. However, he left the door open for teachers to apply to have books distributed if no other online resources were available.

By the end of the second week of online learning, the situation changed.

“We have quickly decided to set up textbook distribution for all students,” Jindra said.

We were having trouble accessing the online textbook for AP Government and Politics. It wasn’t working the way it was supposed to and I could see the frustration mounting. I’m glad they did something about it

— Kaiser

A full textbook distribution was set up by grade level, with seniors going first from 1:00pm to 6:00pm and divided by alphabetical order to keep numbers of students getting books within mandated safety limits.

Sophomores get their books today and Tuesday the freshmen get theirs.

“We were having trouble accessing the online textbook for AP Government and Politics,” said Bill Kaiser. “It wasn’t working the way it was supposed to and I could see the frustration mounting. I’m glad they did something about it.”

The process for getting books is similar to registration, families assigned to time slots visit based on their grade level and last name.

All students and visitors who enter campus must wear a face mask or cloth face covering and adhere to physical distancing guidelines.

“Social distancing was fine and enforced. Everything ran smoothly. There were some people sitting too close together while waiting, but it was easy to stand further away,” said senior Ryan Marin.

Administration recommends all students come with their printed class schedules. It will also speed up the checkout process greatly if students can bring an old CUSD issued ID card with them. The barcodes are linked to their permanent CUSD ID number and should still work for this process.