• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

National Honors Society Gets New Adviser

Claire Stafford
New National Honors Society Adviser, Crystal Stevenson is excited to commence her first year at SJHHS. AS the Adviser she looks to uphold the four pillars that the organization is rooted in. “The focus is the four pillars, which are scholarship, character, service, and leadership,” said Stevenson.

National Honors Society (NHS) is a nationwide high school-based organization that puts an emphasis on four pillars: service, scholarship, character, and leadership.

Each individual high school that holds a chapter under the organization needs to have members, a board of students, and a teacher advisor. Members of the organization are expected to embody the four pillars by positively impacting their school and local communities. 

“Volunteering with NHS has taught me many lessons that will benefit me in my future,” said Lily Carey (11), who has been a member of NHS for two years. “I love volunteering for my school and community as a way to give back and show my gratitude.”

At the end of the 2022-2023 school year, the NHS chapter at SJHHS was in search of a new advisor after the resignation of Christy Bak-Boychuk, the preceding advisor. New ceramics and art teacher, Crystal Stevenson, stepped up to fill the empty position. 

“Over the summer they put out that they still needed an advisor for two of the organizations, and NHS was one of them. At my last school, I was the NHS advisor, so I figured this was a great fit. This is a lot bigger of a school, but I’m excited to be a part of it again.” said Stevenson.

Even after the employment of a new advisor, the program still plans on continuing to uphold the bases of the program and fostering its members to uphold NHS’s core values.

“Our mission is to not only accept members who demonstrate achievement in those four pillars but also to encourage them to grow in those four pillars. The idea is that from here they will be able to take those skills and translate them into real-life situations as they leave the school,” said Stevenson.

Stevenson eagerly claimed the position and hopes the program will continue to positively affect its members.

“What I hope they learn and find is that they are going to enjoy the time, as well as grow in those areas of service by being a leader by following and demonstrating better character than they had before,” said Stevenson.

NHS has restarted peer tutoring and is continuing with the rest of the activities they had planned for the year. The inductee ceremony for new members of the society took place at 5 p.m. on September 21 in the Theater Conference Room.