SJH Dancers Participate in Dance Moms Competition

Natalie Varterian

Dancers Gabriella Mcadam (11), Cortney Chase (11), Niayla MIller (11), Laurel Lechuga (11), and Olivia Kato (10) participated in staged competition for the popular TV show, Dance Moms. Although the competition was rigged so the stars of the show won, the girls still had a blast performing for the show.

Alyssa Mitchell, Staff Writer

Five SJHHS dancers competed against famous dancers from the popular show Dance Moms.

Dancers Olivia Kato (10), Gabriella MacAdam (11), Cortney Chase (11), Niayla Miller (11), and Laurel Lechuga (11) are a part of advanced dance at San Juan Hills High School, and entered a competition that was rigged and manipulated to benefit famous dancers from the show Dance Moms.

Famous for its intense drama, Dance Moms features many talented dancers that compete talented routines weekly in hopes to place at the national competition. Not surprisingly, the stars of the show win every competition. However, many people fail to realize that the show is manipulated to allow the Dance Moms’ dancers to win almost every time.

The SJHHS dancers felt confident going into the competition and were well prepared to compete against extremely talented dancers.

Before the competition held on October 30th, dancer Laurel Lechuga (11) admitted that she was aware of the competition being “rigged and completely fake.” Cortney Chase (11) felt disappointed that “it was all fake, they get to choose when they win, and you will never know if they will truly win or not.”

At the competition, the dancers noticed the “obviously staged” and fake drama, especially when the show producers asked a fan to act for the show and say lines that provoked drama among the main stars of the show.

Contrasting from the obnoxious fighting depicted on the show, the SJH dancers all agreed that the stars were not truly acting childish and real fights did not occur. They only witnessed fake fights.

Many of the dancers noticed the Dance Moms’ dancers’ pretentious attitudes while rehearsing and felt judged. The stars of the famous show carried themselves with a “superior” attitude and were subjective to the other dancers that were also competing.

Cortney Chase (11) and Gabriella MacAdam(11) both agreed that if the stars of the show were not famous and publicized, then they would be seen as average because other dance studios around the country are far more talented and could easily beat them in a competition.

The SJHHS continue to prep for more competitions, dance shows, such as Fusion, and pep rallies.