• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

YouTube Sensation: Alyssa Darland

Vanessa Ortiz
Proudly holding her YouTube play button, junior Alyssa Darland displays the physical symbol of all her hard work. Darland recieved her play button in 2022 for surpassing 100,000 subscribers.

From dense forests and Great Lakes to beach days and scolding weather, Minnesota and California couldn’t be more different. For most teens, moving 2,094 miles away from your hometown is a daunting prospect. But, for junior Alyssa Darland, this affair was a mere stepping stone in her rise to YouTube fame. 

“I moved at the beginning of the summer in 2019, so when I got here we weren’t in school to meet people so the whole summer I was just stuck,” said Darland. 

Shortly after getting somewhat familiar with her new school, the COVID-19 pandemic hit, forcing everyone to remain indoors. 

As with many other teens during this uncharted period, Darland had an extensive amount of free time. To fill that time, Darland decided to upload a seven-minute YouTube video entitled “spring haul 2020!!” on May 5, 2020. 

When I was little, my sister and I would make fake YouTube videos. But, I guess it just kind of happens,”

— Darland

Although her first video initially gained only a few hundred views, Darland regularly posted once a week and promoted her channel through all of her social medias. 

“Initially I was scared of judgment, but then when I really thought about it…I didn’t really know that many people that could judge me here anyways,” said Darland. 

Flash forward two years, that video now has over 30,000 views.

The first video of hers to gain traction was a nine-minute video entitled “unboxing my new iphone 12 pro!!,” and it still stands as her most viewed video with over one million views. 

“After I posted that video, I gained around 10k followers. It was such a surreal experience,” said Darland.

After experimenting with tech-related videos and hauls for over six months, Darland eventually found that vlogging was her video-style of choice. 

“I personally like my vlogs the most, especially the ones in the summer with my friends because they usually have the most memorable moments in them. It’s like a time capsule that I get to look back on,” said Darland. 

Another huge milestone in Darland’s YouTube journey was getting her first sponsorship. After almost a year of posting, Darland partnered with the brand uni.

Today, Darland has partnered with numerous well-known brands including Princess Polly, Curology, Glossier, Yesstyle, White Fox, Hollister, and Notability

One of the most exciting experiences thus far into her career has been with the brand Notability. In the summer of 2023, Darland was flown out to Boston for a creator event promoting Notability’s new app launch. 

“When my manager texted me about the opportunity, I couldn’t believe it,” said Darland. 

As a sixteen-year-old high school student with a rigorous class schedule and an active social life, balancing a regular posting schedule and answering emails can become quite strenuous. 

I would say if you’re ever interested in starting a channel, just go for it. Don’t care about what other people think, and be yourself,”

— Darland

For this reason, Darland signed with the digital marketing and social media agency SmallScreen in 2023. 

“What I love about SmallScreen is that they do it differently than most. Your YouTube revenue is from Google AdSense, but then there’s sponsorship revenue that’s separate. Most managements take from your overall revenue, but SmallScreen only takes from your sponsorship revenue,” said Darland. 

Since posting her first video, Darland has grown up in many ways. 

“My confidence has definitely grown, it’s so funny looking back at my old videos where I wouldn’t look at the camera or would speak super slow. I’ve also become a much better communicator, and I even learned how to file taxes which is crazy,” said Darland. 

After posting over 280 videos, gaining over 184,000 subscribers, and partnering with numerous brands, Darland would like to thank her fans, her family, and her friends for their unconditional support and love. 

“As of now, I don’t know where my channel is going to go, so in terms of the future, who knows what could happen?,” said Darland.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Express
$0
$800
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Juan Hills High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.