Homecoming Court is Outdated, Let’s Move On

Nikki Iyer, News Editor

Homecoming court is an outdated school custom that does not uphold what SJHHS stands for. The volatile tradition needs to change, or needs to be abolished.

When SJHHS rebranded their acronym for “BRAND,” the administration and student groups worked extensively to create an inclusive statement that would speak to the student population. Specifically, the letter “R,” which addresses how the school will support and represent diversity on campus.

“Represent students of all backgrounds (cultures, races, religions, sexual orientations, genders) equitably in our extracurricular activities, sports, arts programs, classes, and areas on campus,” said the RFTB statement. 

Homecoming court does not act for students of all backgrounds by any means. 

For instance, when a student places their nominations for homecoming court, the voting platform separates students into two gender-exclusive categories: king or queen. However, many students don’t feel they truly fit into either label. 

“The whole “king and queen” thing is archaic and I don’t believe it fully represents who we are as a class,” said non-binary junior, Lennon Hodges.

Not to mention, homecoming court reinforces a social hierarchy that elevates the status of a few, but the insecurities of many. 

“A lot of people look forward to getting on the homecoming court throughout all of their high school years and never get nominated. I find the whole tradition of it pretty distasteful. Even if it is a bit sad that something so trivial could disappoint some people so much, that disappointment could easily be prevented if the outdated tradition was just finally put to rest,” said senior Hayley Wilson.

The tradition places “popularity” on a pedestal. It sends the message that outside appearance trumps intellect and values. It makes students feel as if they need validation through the votes of their peers in order to find contentment. 

Ultimately, homecoming court is a popularity contest. It’s a race to see who has the biggest friend group, or the greatest follow count on Instagram. It unnecessarily places too much value on looks, and not enough in the merit of the entire student body.

“I think the idea of homecoming court gives those that are nominated…too much of an opportunity to gloat on their own success and gain some sense of superiority to everyone else, just for gaining more popularity,” said Wilson.

At the end of the day, our students should find self worth in their caliber, not what society wants them to conform to. Unless modifications are made, it needs to go.