• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Sexualization During Halloween is Scarier than Ghouls

Caoimhin Grothe-Brinton
This drawing depicts Lola Bunny, Starfire, Tinkerbell, and Harley Quinn, commonly over-sexualized characters in popular culture. Children’s entertainment characters are often turned into revealing costumes for Halloween, leading kids to support the immoral actions of halloween costume companies.

As Halloween creeps up, the overly sexual feminine costume culture during Halloween proves to be even creepier. Women and young girls often struggle with heavy societal objectification, but even more so during this time of year.

The issue of objectification during Halloween is complicated because people can dress however they want, but today’s internally sexist society and surroundings put a lot of subconscious expectations upon America’s women.

“The costume and media industries have been pushing exclusively sexualized costumes onto women for years. In a study by West Chester University professor Lauri Hyers, 90% of women’s costumes were sexualized while only 11% of men’s are,” according to Jen Bowman in University of Alabamas’ student magazine ALICE.

Industries continue to encourage women to wear sexualized costumes consisting of tight clothes or little fabric, whereas men do not get pressured to dress provocatively. Costume industries typically target college students since they partake most heavily in costume parties and events. Sexual harassment occurrences at parties are a big issue during the fall season.

“More than 50% of college sexual assaults occur in either August, September, October or November,” according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network.

Halloween sex crimes do not have an exact rate, but younger populations are at greater risk, considering that activities include drinking and partying all night. Going out and partying should be a fun and exciting experience, not a traumatizing and exploitive experience.

Halloween is an exciting holiday where people should get to feel safe and excited no matter how revealing their clothing may be. Before leaving the house, many women can’t leave without pepper spray or some form of defense.

Halloween is an exciting holiday where people should get to feel safe and excited no matter how revealing their clothing may be.”

— Caoimhin Grothe-Brinton

According to the National Library of Medicine, “Approximately 25% of women with both personal and vicarious experiences of violence carried pepper spray, and over half hid weapons in their homes.” 

An inappropriate percentage of the population supports the idea that wearing revealing clothing is “asking for it,” which allows perpetrators to justify their actions, something that happens all too often. Criticizing the clothes that were worn in the case of assault is insensitive and oftentimes completely irrelevant. The Dove Center exhibit displays what many survivors wore during their assault. Most of these outfits consisted of children’s clothing and sweatshirts, not “revealing clothes,” completely debunking the idea that clothing is a cause for sexual predation. 

Another inappropriate facet in the Halloween costume industry is the sexualization of children, especially young girls and teenagers, in the name of capitalism. 

“Female costumes created by the industry typically consist of sexualized versions of everyday jobs or even minors. Hence the reason some of the most common costumes are schoolgirls, nurses and police officers,” said Jen Bowman. 

Professions that women fought to be able to partake in are oftentimes subject to commercial sexualization. The careers of female police officers, firefighters, and nurses for example are mocked and fetishized. The mockery of female participation in everyday professions is upsettingly telling of how strong women are regarded in patriarchal society. The women who fight gender norms in America are degraded and disrespected by misogynistic men and weirdos who reduce female strength to fetish fuel. 

Among the many sins of the Halloween costume industry is the disrespect of other cultures. Cultural sexualization during Halloween is a recurring issue. 

“Companies have just recently started to remove the ability to purchase outfits based on Native American and Japanese culture. It is too late, however, as the sexual mockery of other cultures has cemented its place within America’s stereotypes and biases,” said Bowman. 

Latino, Native, Asian, Romany, and Jewish cultures among many others are sexually appropriated every year. This hinders others from educating themselves about these cultures and others.

For example, dressing up as a “gypsy” for Halloween is appropriation and sexualization of Romany culture. As a Romany, “gypsy” is not only considered a slur word but it is also offensive when the attire is worn as a costume. Romany culture sexualizes girls enough and Halloween encourages the objectification of Romanys and other cultures. The sexualization of other cultures that celebrate their own styles and faiths is in poor taste. 

Women shouldn’t feel disrespected or unsafe during the fall season every year. Society has let costume industries off the hook too many times. With that in mind, trust your instincts and be aware of social boundaries and costume choices. While having fun and indulging in Halloween spirit, avoid supporting unethical halloween costume industries and stay safe.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Express
$0
$800
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Juan Hills High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.