• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Understanding the Classics of California’s English Curriculum

Rowan Noonan (11) takes a look into the historical novel A Tale of Two Cities. This book is read by students in Honors English II.

Students pave their academic journeys through the classes they choose to enroll in. The English classes they take are impactful on their educational growth, and the main contributor to that growth is the selection of books they dissect throughout the year.

An infamously difficult book among students is the narrative “A Tale of Two Cities” by Charles Dickens. The context of the book, being the French Revolution, gives students a historical understanding of the 18th century. Dickens’ story holds themes of love, sacrifice, and redemption. This book challenges students enrolled in Honors English II because of the elaborate historical context and flowery Victorian language. 

The novel “Fahrenheit 451” written by Ray Bradbury was published in 1953, and is a well known classic of dystopian literature. Students encounter Bradbury’s novel in Honors English I. The book surrounds a futuristic society where books are banned, and firemen are tasked with burning any remaining books. The protagonist, Guy Montag, takes readers on a journey as he starts to question the oppression of society. This book was interesting to read with its innovative society and cool elements that Bradbury entails. 

The classic narrative written by Shakespere, “Romeo and Juliet,” is read by students enrolled in Honors English I. Shakespeare uses Elizabethan language and poetic verse which requires students to comprehend unfamiliar words and phrases. But, despite the convoluted language and unusually structured sentences, the overall themes of love, fate, and human nature show students the importance of Shakespeare’s work. 

The autobiography, “Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave,” is a story written by Frederick Douglass himself. Douglass writes about his experiences as a slave in the United States, and his journey to freedom. This narrative reveals the harsh realities of slavery, and the resilience Frederick Douglass maintained in the face of oppression. This book helped many Stallions understand the hardships and realities that slaves had to endure in their lifes. 

The classic literature students are exposed to in the SJHHS English curriculum helps guide them to a deeper understanding of how to comprehend advanced novels. By gaining knowledge of complex pieces of literature, students can cultivate skills for their futures. 

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Express
$0
$800
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Juan Hills High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.