• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Facebook: Stalking at its Finest

It seems as though all other forms of communication has parted to make way for social media. Facebook, Instagram, and for the classy internet surfer- email- have all affected daily life even off the screen. Colleges and employers have even taken to “stalking” a potential student or employee on these sites. While it would be expected that the company’s research takes place on a professional level, it is easily debatable that there is a thin line between narrowing down the field and invading the privacy of an internet personality.
“People aren’t really there to snoop around your stuff, if they are and they’re excessively interested in your online personality, it’s kind of a grey area between what’s professional and what’s not. Technically, I don’t think you can not hire someone based on their Facebook but that may be the ‘unspoken reason’ ,” says Ann Bergen, Career Center Advisor.
It is not difficult to distinguish what information would be useful and what is simply an accessory to understanding the individual. From a business owner’s point of view, “if you’re putting [an employee] in front of a cash register, you would look for integrity, honesty, and character,” says Bergen. The conclusion to be drawn is that a student’s music preference shouldn’t necessarily stereotype their skill set and morals.
That’s not to say that what you list as your interests does not have a significant impact on your opportunities. However, “social media/Facebook is here to stay. What we have to learn is how to work it to our best advantage. So put things on there if you’re doing something that is going to be relevant to the job you’re applying for,” says Bergen.
Colleges and employers are also scrutinizing that fact of whether or not you hold an account. Lack of internet presence tends to raise suspicion and lead to reaching the possibility that you’re attempting to hide from them. “Be on it, but be smart about how you do it,” says Bergen, who later proposed the potential slogan for common sense: “If it’s really personal and private, just don’t post it.”