• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Don’t Be Trashy: Keep San Juan Hills Clean

Celeste Cariker
During lunchtime, campus supervisor Enrique makes rounds in the lower quad with a trash can to reduce the amount of trash that students leave at the tables at the end of the lunch period. “Tell everyone to stop leaving trash everywhere!” said Enrique. Supervisors and custodial staff on campus work hard to keep the campus clean, but students must play their part as well.

Stallions are lucky to have a learning environment surrounded by modern, well-kept architecture and beautiful hills surrounding the campus. Yet littering has become an escalating concern on school campus, casting a shadow over our otherwise pristine educational environment.

“[Students] need to have more awareness. I see trash just thrown, not even that they’ll leave it behind but they’ll throw it at each other,” said AP Environmental Science teacher Emily Price.

“It greatly impacts my daily work load. Constantly picking up trash keeps me from taking care of other important tasks I could be completing. When students take trash in to the restroom and choose to clog toilets and sinks, I then have to close the restrooms for safety of the students,” said lead custodian at SJHHS since 2007, Enrico Galang.

Littering is not only affecting the aesthetic appearance of the campus,  but is also causing even more alarming implications for the environment. 

“Trash and debris can flow into drains causing clogs. Birds take up trash onto the roof and clog roof drains, sometimes causing water intrusions into classrooms,” said Galang.

This dilemma can bring about unfavorable impacts that present a potential health risk to both students and staff.

“This is a major problem because water intrusions can then lead to indoor air quality concerns. Now we are speaking about health concerns, and we just want everyone to be safe,” said Galang.

I see trash just thrown, not even that they’ll leave it behind but they’ll throw it at each other.”

— Emily Price

The severity of littering extends far beyond the visible mess built up. 

“There are consequences we don’t think about when trash is left on tables, the floor, or anywhere other than a proper receptacle,” said  Galang.

One way to combat this problem is by promoting environmental consciousness.

As AP Environmental Science teacher Emily Price wisely pointed out, small changes in daily habits, such as reducing single-use plastic by using a hydro flask  instead of plastic water bottles can significantly contribute to a cleaner and more sustainable campus. 

“Coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress, working together is success,” said manager of Maintenance Trades Capistrano Unified School District Alex Malfavon.

With collective effort and solidarity, the school can overcome the littering issue, and thereby create a cleaner and more productive environment for everyone.