Varsity Athletes Recognized with ‘Athletes of Character’ Award

Bridget+Miller+%2812%29+and+Jake+Topartzer+%2812%29+smile+as+they+receive+the+OCADA+%E2%80%9CAthletes+of+Character%E2%80%9D+award.+The+varsity+athletes+have+demonstrated+their+leadership+skills+both+on+and+off+campus.+

Courtesy of San Juan Hills High School Athletics

Bridget Miller (12) and Jake Topartzer (12) smile as they receive the OCADA “Athletes of Character” award. The varsity athletes have demonstrated their leadership skills both on and off campus.

Sydney Hogancamp, Feature Editor

Water polo player Bridget Miller and wrestler Jake Topartzer have been recognized by the Orange County Athletic Directors Association (OCADA) as “Athletes of Character.” The annual award honors top performing high school athletes. 

Receiving a varsity letter as a freshman, Miller played center all four years of high school. The senior is committed to play for UC Davis, and says her love for water polo comes from her family’s history with the game. 

“I’ve been playing water polo since I was 10, and it runs in the family. My brother plays water polo at USC,” said Miller.  

Miller’s teammates say that she is an asset to the program, in and out of the pool, as a dependable leader for fellow students.

“Bridget is very outgoing and she gives the best advice. She sees a solution to every bad case. She is such an asset to our team and a key player. I look up to her and idolize her so much,” said sophomore water polo player, Lily Padilla. 

The “Athletes of Character” award recognizes students that make positive contributions to their team, beyond just the sport itself.

“I think I try to focus on sportsmanship the most. I think sports are supposed to be a fun thing to do so you shouldnt be angry if you lose or someone makes a mistake, you just have to continue to focus on the game,” said Miller. 

On the wrestling mat, in 6th grade, Topartzer decided Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) was his future. With eight years of training in Jiu Jitsu, and two years of wrestling experience, Topartzer was thrilled when he found out he could apply his skills to SJHHS’ new wrestling program.

I think I try to focus on sportsmanship the most. I think sports are supposed to be a fun thing to do so you shouldn’t be angry if you lose or someone makes a mistake, you just have to continue to focus on the game.

— Bridget Miller

Topartzer played a key role in Stallion Wrestling’s success this first season. Not only did he finish first in several matches, he also stepped up as a leader and set an example for the team. 

“I set a standard for all the wrestlers, to show them how the techniques work, how wrestling practices look, and hopefully they’ll be able to pass them to freshmen for upcoming years,” said Topartzer.

Through wrestling, Topartzer gained leadership skills and learned how to manage a team.

“Before I wasn’t a leader at all, I really hated coaching people, and now I’m actually coaching wrestling after this season. It really helped me a lot,” said Topartzer.

Topartzer plans to continue his wrestling career after high school, playing in college and eventually pursuing a career in it.

The athletes are excited for their futures, and feel proud to have represented Stallion Spirit on campus.