Victory Over Aliso Niguel, Stallions Win Third League Title in Five Years

Joaquin Serrato

Celebrating+the+last+game+of+the+season+under+the+Friday+night+lights%2C+Brayden+Bockler+%2812%29%2C+Butter+Tollefson+%2810%29%2C+and+Weston+Port+%2810%29+charge+out+of+the+team+huddle.+SJHHS+football+is+set+to+play+their+first+CIF+championship+game+on+November+4th%2C+in+the+Badlands.+

Mia Tickell

Celebrating the last game of the season under the Friday night lights, Brayden Bockler (12), Butter Tollefson (10), and Weston Port (10) charge out of the team huddle. SJHHS football is set to play their first CIF championship game on November 4th, in the Badlands.

Joaquin Serrato, Multimedia Editor

Pink in the stands and poise on the turf, the Stallions finished victorious against Aliso Niguel High School, resulting in a final score of 31-14. Despite an 0-7 start to the season, with this result, San Juan Hills football earns another Sea View League Championship Banner and clinches a spot in the CIF Playoffs.  

Junior defensive back, Isaiah Bennet, was a force on the defensive side of the ball. Bennet had involvement in two turnovers. One an interception, the other a fumble recovery returned for a 75-yard touchdown. Bennet credits the bond of the team as the cause of the turnaround from a losing start to league champions. 

“We just needed to lock in as a team, come together and form unity and that’s what we did. The boys practiced hard all week, every week it’s what we came here for,” said Bennet.

Sophomore quarterback, Michael “Butter” Tollefson, also played well at the Badlands, rushing for three touchdowns. Tollefson believes the team’s determination to play hard, despite their losses, is what kept the morale high during league games.

“We knew that we just had to get it together and that were better than 0-7…once our whole team was here [due to injuries], that were a team can do some damage,” said Tollefson.

We’re league champs and that’s something that these guys will remember for the rest of their lives, they will be champions for life. Whenever they come back to our school they will be remembered as the class of 2022 who won a league championship here

— Robert Frith

Throughout the season, junior linebacker Jake Javorsky has impressed on the defensive side of the ball. Against the Aliso Niguel Wolverines, he continued that impression by racking up seven total tackles (4 solo, 3 assisted), and a sack

“It feels great, sounds amazing. We’re going to get a new banner over there, great feeling,” said Javorsky, on the team winning the Sea View League. 

Frith believes winning league right before postseason play will give the Stallions a push to play hard.

“…it will build momentum, because now you’re going into the playoffs representing your league as well…and you gotta go there and you gotta wear that badge, it’s the badge of honor. And our guys will be ready to go next week as well…were going to be a tough team to beat,” said Frith.

The Stallions are placed in the sixth division of the 2022 CIF Southern Section Bracket. Their first playoff game is on November 4 at the Badlands against Palm Desert High School.