Game of Throws: Dodgeball

Andrew+Lindsay+%2812%29+lobs+his+final+ball+at+Matt+Mucerino+%2812%29+in+his+scramble+as+the+last+man+standing+for+Pod+Squad.+

Shane Battis

Andrew Lindsay (12) lobs his final ball at Matt Mucerino (12) in his scramble as the last man standing for “Pod Squad.”

Shane Battis, Business Manager

Once again, the annual dodgeball tournament has returned to SJHHS drawing testosterone-charged athletic energy to the courts as a variety of colorfully-clad teams compete for the title of Dodgeball Champions of 2014. Last week “Just Us Guys,” “Brick Squad,” “The Wiggles,” “Fighting Koalas,” “Dodgefathers,” “Power Rangers,” “Supa Mario and Anotha Brotha,” and “Noo Noos” emerged victorious.

The most exciting Wednesday match pitted the wetsuit wearing “Pod Squad” against “Dodgeball Champs 2014” where the scantily dressed squad was narrowly defeated by the team of football players. Despite winning the crowd’s cheers with an impressive scramble alone on the court, Andrew Lindsay’s final throw was caught by Matt Mucerino stunting the “Pod Squad’s” chance for victory.

For the first time in recent history, this year’s teacher-stacked team, “The Incredibles,” made it past the first round to face off with “Noo Noos.” This match was heated with added ferocity as the well known rivalry between senior, Austin Isaacsohn and his AP Art History teacher, Robert Lynde carried over from witty classroom remarks into a climactic physical exchange. Isaacsohn admitted there had been some trash talking between the two in the weeks preceding their much anticipated confrontation.

The “Noo Noos” beat out their high school mentors in a display of great athletic skill including a remarkable play where Reed Wilson was hit by a ball and, instead of exiting the court immediately, lobbed the ball into the air volleyball style allowing Milo Simpson to make the catch.

Though “The Incredibles” were disbanded, Lynde was far from finished. In a spur of the moment decision, Lynde and Isaacsohn played a final one-on-one game for the sake of the rivalry. Isaacsohn says, “I aimed for his big fat face and through some sort of black magic he caught it.” After the settling the score, Isaacsohn commends Lynde for his performance

This week, “Noo Noos,” “Fighting Koalas,” “Power Rangers,” and “Supa Mario and Anotha Brotha” played a multi-game playoff series in which “Supa Mario” emerged victorious over “Power Rangers” taking the 2014 trophy for their own.