• The Tan Band Wins Battle of the Bands

• Sofia Votava Wins President's Volunteer Service Award

• Skyla Setzler Wins 2nd in District Poster Competition

• Battle of the Bands Winner to Play Concert at Lunch Friday

• 2019 Stallion of the Year Nominees Announced

• Lila Holley and Sierra Young In Top 15 of OC Register Varsity Artists

Oprah Winfrey Gives President Trump a Run for his Money

Riley Goodfellow, Editorial Editor

Many exceptional women appeared at the Golden Globes this January, but one stood out above everyone else. The first black woman to win the Golden Globes’ Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement was none other than Oprah Winfrey.  

After being introduced by actress Reese Witherspoon, Winfrey gave a significant and moving speech about Recy Taylor, an African American woman who was raped by six men that then threatened to kill her if she ever told anyone.

Winfrey continued to explain that Taylor’s life sadly ended last year but that her story was worthy of being told no matter what.

“I just hope that Recy Taylor died knowing that her truth, like the truth of so many other women who were tormented in those years and even now tormented, goes marching on” said Winfrey.

The torment that Winfrey is talking about is perpetuated even by our own president, Donald Trump.

We can fix our mistake of electing a man who cannot control his tweets, and instead replace him with a strong woman who uses her words wisely and to encourage love”

The man who holds the position of what is often referred to as “the most powerful man in the world” can be seen in a video discussing “grabbing (women) by the p**sy” and said “I moved on her very heavily… I moved on her like a bi**h, but I couldn’t get there.”

Although this video was released in 2016, Trump’s horrible language and actions towards women started a long while back and have simply never stopped.

In 2013, President Trump tweeted “26,000 unreported sexual assaults in the military – only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?”

By blaming sexual assault on cohabitation, Donald Trump not only invalidated the experiences of the women who serve our country and were abused while doing it, but he also condoned the issue and rape itself, sending a message to all male soldiers that it is okay to harass their female comrades.

The United States deserves a leader who dedicates their career to the fight of equality and not to the deterioration of women.

Our country needs to fix our past mistake by electing a strong empowered woman to office instead like Winfrey who said “In my career, what I’ve always tried my best to do, whether on television or through film, is to say something about how men and women really behave, to say how we experience shame, how we love and how we rage, how we fail, how we retreat, persevere, and how we overcome”.

The United States deserves a leader who dedicates their career to the fight of equality and not to the deterioration of women”

There are rumors that Winfrey would run for president in the year 2020, which leaves many with some hope for the country that President Trump has taken over.

From the last election’s results, it is evident that reality T.V. stars are what our society deems worthy of the title of “president;” however Winfrey is a star that surpasses Trump’s experience, intelligence, logic, and presidentialism by a long shot.

If she were to lead the United States, women would be embraced instead of objectified; race would be celebrated instead of belittled and frowned upon; and people would live in harmony  instead of hate.

We can fix our mistake of electing a man who cannot control his tweets, and instead replace him with a strong woman who uses her words wisely and to encourage love.

Although Winfrey said “I don’t have the DNA” for a presidential candidate, we all know in our hearts that she would be the one to truly make America great again.

Riley Goodfellow, Co Editor-in-Chief

Riley is a junior at SJHHS and super excited to be returning to The Express as Co Editor-in-Chief! She was the Opinion Editor last year and is looking...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Oprah Winfrey Gives President Trump a Run for his Money”

1. Nancy carreon on February 5th, 2018 8:07 PM

I would love it if Oprah ran for president, I would move heaven and earth t help her get elected. This planet is hungry for love and compassion. She would represent our country with love and integrity , we are all exasted with t star of affairs that is going on , with our planet. Oprah, please run we need you ,you are a breath of fresh air in these very challenging times. I know if u would run u would win by a land slide. You don’t need any ones help to win. You are beautiful and powerful, the arch Angeles are with you.

2. Amanda Rooker on February 20th, 2018 10:20 PM

Riley, this is so well written and incredibly compelling. You had thorough research to back up your claims and I love your ending!

• Oprah Winfrey Gives President Trump a Run for his Money

Editorials

One Size Does NOT Fit All

Opinion

The Art Does Not Separate Itself from the Artist

Opinion

Affirmative Action Changes Unfair College Acceptance Policy

Opinion

The College Scandal: Everything Comes to Light

Opinion

Summer School Sucks the Life Out of Students

Opinion

Costumes vs. Cosplay- Know The Difference!

Opinion

6 Ways to Prepare for the AP Test

Opinion

Big Hopes for Updated History Textbooks

Food

Touche Zenko Sushi

Opinion

Offensive Hate Crimes Spark Outrage