• The Tan Band Wins Battle of the Bands

• Sofia Votava Wins President's Volunteer Service Award

• Skyla Setzler Wins 2nd in District Poster Competition

• Battle of the Bands Winner to Play Concert at Lunch Friday

• 2019 Stallion of the Year Nominees Announced

• Lila Holley and Sierra Young In Top 15 of OC Register Varsity Artists

Welcoming San Clemente’s Newest Coffee Shop

Gary, one of the four managers currently working at Rapport Coffee in San Clemente, demonstrates how they make a cafe latte. All of Rapport's beans used in their coffee drinks are roasted in Los Angeles by the managers for the highest quality flavor.

Makayla Keelin

Makayla Keelin

Makayla Keelin

Makayla Keelin and Tatum Federman

It’s every coffee lover’s dream.

At first, it appears to be like any old coffee shop: conventional, glass doors, up-to-date. Upon entry, however, guests are astonished with the liveliness that the simple and open design provide.

The interior is well lit and open, making it a great place to study or hang out with friends. The seating itself is very comfortable and cozy. Each table is decorated with little succulents settled in coffee beans.

Rapport Coffee by Cafe Smith is a new coffee shop in San Clemente that has been open for roughly six weeks. As you walk across the parking lot, the first and most noticeable decoration are and the words “Rapport” on the outer white brick wall. Right away, the shop radiates a welcoming and warming atmosphere.

In the very back of the little cafe is a wall of aesthetic photos. They look as if they were professionally done, however, they were actually all taken by one of the managers.

Some of his photos are from Brazil and others from San Francisco. The rest, he explained, were from a variety of destinations all around the world. They also offer a line of wetsuits that are, according to the managers, put up for sale by one of their customers.

The barista station is wide open and customers are able to see all of the coffee being made.

One of the managers said, “we want to increase our space for the customers so we are going to remodel the coffee bar. That way, it will be easier for us to communicate with them.” 

As for service, every single manager greets you upon entry, they are very attentive and let the customer know that they are here to help you decide what you would like according to your preferred taste. 

If you don’t like, say, acidic coffee we want to make it less acidic. If you’re a really skilled barista, you personalize your coffees for each customer.”

— Dave

Currently there are only four managers working at Rapport: Dave, Gary, Chris, and Jay. All are welcoming and attentive to their customers.

Rapport Coffee is open Monday through Friday from 6am to 6pm and Saturday from 6am to 4pm. Sundays, however, are reserved for roasting beans.

Unlike many other coffee shops such as Starbucks Coffee, Peet’s Coffee, and The Coffee Bean– Rapport Coffee roasts their beans fresh in store every Sunday. Each coffee drink is made with great care as seen in the elegant designs created in the foam.

If your looking for great coffee both visually and flavor-wise Rapport Coffee is an excellent choice.

Question: Where does the name “Rapport” originate?

Answer: We named our shop Rapport Coffee because we want to build up our “rapport” with the customer. There are really good coffees out there, but many people have a hard time finding them, probably because of the location. That is why we here in San Clemente; we want to change how we make good coffee. We want to take advice from our customers. That is why you have to taste it. If you don’t like, say, acidic coffee we want to make it less acidic. If you’re a really skilled barista, you personalize your coffees for each customer.

Question: What would you say it is that makes Rapport’s coffee different from others?

Answer: This is our bean from the S company, you know, Starbucks. You may see a difference between the beans, some of them are dark and some are a light brownish color. Normally, we chew the beans before we taste the beans to check the texture. We don’t burn the beans. The S company’s beans are burned, and when it’s burned you taste nothing. That is why the roastings are important, and the matter of the roastings are important to achieve quality coffees.

Question: Where do the coffee beans come from?

Answer:  We buy beans directly from South America.

Question: How did you learn to make coffee?

Answer: There are schools, but you have to take certain courses to get a SCA (special coffee association).

Question: Does Rapport do anything special for the holidays?

Answer: Later on Christmas day, we’ll have some live music sessions. We want to build rapport customers through our coffee, but also through other events, such as a performance.

Question: Has the Vape Oasis next door had any affect on your business?

Answer: Not really, no.

Our recommendations are the iced vanilla latte – their most popular order – and the affogiato, if you’re looking for a treat.

About the Writers
Makayla Keelin, Arts & Graphics Editor

Makayla is a senior at SJHHS and is thrilled to be returning to The Express for her third year as the Arts and Graphics Editor. Whether she is drawing,...

Tatum Federman, Captions & Social Media Editor

Tatum Federman is a senior at San Juan Hills. This is her first year on The Express staff, and she is the Captions and Social Media Editor. She is the...

1 Comment

One Response to “Welcoming San Clemente’s Newest Coffee Shop”

1. Amanda Rooker on September 20th, 2017 6:00 PM

What a great idea to interview and feature Rapport Coffee! Keep up the great work SJHexpress! This article is intriguing, well-written, and impressive as always.

• Welcoming San Clemente’s Newest Coffee Shop

Food

Touche Zenko Sushi

Food

Comedic Take on High School Lunch

Food

Loco for Tacos

Food

Nono’s Knows Their Mexican

Editorials

One Size Does NOT Fit All

Clubs

New Club “Donates” Dances to Students in Need

Opinion

The Art Does Not Separate Itself from the Artist

Opinion

Affirmative Action Changes Unfair College Acceptance Policy

Feature

Twin Brothers Shootin’ Easy on District Hockey Team

News

Obsolete Library Reference Section Donated to Classrooms