Writing for the Brand

• Athletic Director Armando Gonzalez Announces Departure

• Grad Night on 6/1

• Prices increase $0.25 at vending machines

• "Rock of Ages" Prom on May 13th at Anaheim House of Blues

• AP Exams end 5/12

• Stallion of The Year Nominees Announced: Miguel Bravo, Amanda Rooker, Jenna Bowman, Macey Bergstrom, and Charles Lindberg

Students Rev Their Engines

Senior+Jonathan+Tawil+sports+his+2014+Tesla+Model+S+P85D+in+one+of+SJHHS%E2%80%99+parking+lots.+This+is+just+one+of+the+many+superb+vehicles+that+SJHHS+students+possess+with+other+high+quality+cars+tearing+up+the+roads+as+well.+
Senior Jonathan Tawil sports his 2014 Tesla Model S P85D in one of SJHHS’ parking lots. This is just one of the many superb vehicles that SJHHS students possess with other high quality cars tearing up the roads as well.

Dylan Robinson

Dylan Robinson

Dylan Robinson, Staff Writer

Whether it’s navigating the parking lot or cruising down La Pata with wind blasting through your hair, it’s hard to miss the collection of cars SJHHS’ students have on display.

The opening of La Pata, along with the sudden burst of students parking in the Mormon Lot, has incentivized students to drive their own cars instead of relying on the bus, their parents, or carpools. Making it to class on time gives students a reason to flaunt their vehicular style, prompting compliments from a fellow driver on their daily commute.

Cars symbolize literal vehicles of expression in today’s society and can speak about their drivers without using any words.

These following motorheads put extra effort into their vehicles, making sure they are operating smoothly while simultaneously looking sharp.

Junior Mehron Sharq drives a 2017 C300 Coupe Mercedes-Benz. The AMG rims and red leather interior are simply highlights to Sharq, allowing the car to distinguish itself even in the densest of traffic jams.

“I hope to keep it for as long as possible if I can keep my grades up — because that’s what my dad wants,” said Sharq. “Hopefully if I get into a really good college, I might buy another one for myself once I start making some money.”

Not only does Sharq take pride in his ride, but also in his grades, as he wants to make his father proud for gifting the car to him.

Next on the list is senior Nicholas Quinn, who drives a blue 2016 Mustang GT. The striking light blue color sticks out visibly in the rows of cars with more basic palettes comprising the majority of the parking lot.

Thanks to the handiwork of Quinn himself, modifications have been installed in the car to increase the ferocity of the engine, gathering both compliments and grievances. “I get a lot of compliments on the color, but I also get a lot of complaints,” said Quinn, “Old people say ‘why is it so loud?’”

Another unique design is senior Sam Iacometti’s towering 1971 Volkswagen Bus with a red coloration. On the inside, Iacometti can fold down beds, pull down curtains and enjoy a refreshing day at the beach after a hard day’s work at school.

“The beach is definitely my most popular destination in the van,” said Iacometti.

The van itself is quite the looker, catching the eyes of other motorists when just driving around. “Way too often do I have to slowly crank down my window to receive a compliment,” said Iacometti.

Rounding out the lineup is senior Jonathan Tawil, who drives a 2014 Tesla Model S P85D. Despite not utilizing traditional fuel like the other cars mentioned, Tawil swears by its speed it can achieve despite it being an electric vehicle.

“It’s like a bullet right behind you, like having a jet engine strapped to it,” said Tawil. “The second you tap that throttle, it’ll move.”

Tawil mentions the Tesla’s regenerative braking feature, which allows the car to convert kinetic energy into stored chemical energy in the battery, acting as a power reserve for the vehicle to later use while driving. “You will stop on a dime,” said Tawil.

Although this does not encompass every amazing car seen at SJHHS, these students’ vehicles in particular are some of the finest on display. Increased care in one’s vehicle will do more than turn a few heads in today’s car-dominated society, leaving these students in a great spot following high school.

Next time you are out on the road and see these students vrooming by, feel free to give a friendly honk to your automotive acquaintance.