• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

5 Weird Foods You Didn’t Know Were Healthy

Society today emphasizes a well-balanced diet that includes organic vegetables and bizzare foods that can only be purchased at a health store across town. These 5 simple foods that can be found at any local grocery store like chia seeds or beet juice prove to be as healthy as other bizarre foods that are found further from home.1. Seaweed
Seaweed is most commonly known as a sushi wrapper but for some, it’s a loved plant used in soups, salads, and side dishes. Seaweed is high in amino acids and vitamins A and C. This sea vegetable is higher in vitamins, minerals and amino acids than most land vegetables. The high fiber content of this vegetable cleanses our digestive system.2. Chia Seeds
Many associate chia seeds with the Chia Pet commercials that raided TV at the start of the 80s. Chia seeds today have a more useful benefit to our health. The seeds contain a balanced blend of protein, carbohydrates and fiber. The essential fatty acids also boost metabolism and promote lean muscle mass. Chia seeds can be blended into any drink or added to yogurt, salads and baked goods.

3. Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is a powerful detoxifier that benefits our blood and liver health. Wheatgrass juice is more common when blended into smoothies and other drinks. The high amino acid content in wheatgrass has made it popular within the bodybuilding community. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein which are crucial for growth and cell regeneration. Wheatgrass can be purchased fresh or in powder form.

4. Ginger
Ginger is most popular is ginger ale and gingerbread, but other countries use this food for medicinal purposes. Because of its natural anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is used to alleviate stomach problems, chronic pain and even motion sickness. Ginger tea is popular to those who suffer from an upset stomach or when congestion occurs during a cold.

5. Beet Juice
Beet juice isn’t popular with many people today but the health benefits make it a crucial super-food. Beet juice is known as a blood purifier that promotes the growth of healthy red blood cells.  The super-food also promotes healthy blood flow and reduces blood pressure. Beet juice has also been found to boost performance during exercise, allowing for longer periods of activity.