• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Artistic Opportunities at SJHHS

graphic by Madison Wolikow
SJHHS offers various art classes for students to embrace their creative side.

Openings to explore creative and unique subjects are available to all students, whether to complete a credit requirement or just for fun. SJHHS provides a diverse range of art electives so that students can fulfill the graduation requirement of at least one year of visual/performing arts. 

Art classes are a great way to obtain these credits and engage in new fields. These courses include drawing/painting, ceramics, or other studio art courses, which offer levels ranging from beginner to advanced, allowing any student to participate at their accurate skill level. 

Performing arts such as instrumental and vocal music, dance and theater are great classes that physically express emotion and passion.

Instrumental music is a great route to learn new instruments and feel connected to others. Dean McElroy runs all SJHHS instrumental music classes including orchestra, band, and wind symphonies. Seasonal concerts are held year-round and instruments combine with theater to produce advanced-level musicals.

“We get exposed to very widely ranging literature. There’s no other opportunity to play literature like this,” said junior Julaine Cruz. 

Being a part of an orchestra or band makes long-lasting memories and gives students time off from schoolwork. 

“When I’m in college, I’ll definitely be looking back. I honestly just enjoy taking a break from academic work and channeling my energy into music. It takes my stress level down from academics,” said Cruz. 

Choir is not only a class of producing intricate vocal music. Director Michael Ushino teaches students how to read music, understand dynamics, and work in harmony with others. SJHHS offers A Capella, chamber singers, meistersingers, concert choir, and vocal ensemble for students to join. 

“I like the singing and how it’s a break from school. We get a set of songs for each concert and we practice them while having a fun time,” said Amy Sun.

Visual arts gives students the freedom to express themselves in a manner that is viewed by others. An artist’s experiences, messages, and emotions are presented and impactful through a wide range of forms or mediums. Some courses available to students are digital photography, TV broadcast journalism, or video production. 

Digital photography is an enjoyable class that teaches students various techniques and skills in photography. This one-year course is very beginner-level friendly and meets the UC/CSU Visual Performing Arts requirement.

“We do a lot of active photography. We’ll take photos of people playing ping pong or go outside and take photos of the buildings. We learn a lot of stuff in Photoshop like new techniques of different lighting, composition, and colors” said junior Kate Hayes. 

The calm, friendly environment encourages students to be creative and stress-free. Skills learned from the class apply to careers and entertainment. 

“I like taking what we learn from the lessons and doing my creative stuff with it. It’s kind of an escape from stress” said Hayes.

No matter which interest a student has, the diverse amount of art electives here at SJHHS ensures a fun and creative class for anyone.