• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

“Wonka” Movie: Sweet & Satisfying

Claire Stafford
The prequel to “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory” is out and you don’t want to miss it!

“Wonka,” the prequel to “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory” (1971) has been released to theaters worldwide, and the reimagined love of sugar and sweets has received a positive response. Wonka ended 2023 in the number one spot at box offices, bringing in more than $142 million nationwide, as of January 1st.

Reviewers agree the actors are cast perfectly, the sets are well done, and the plot is entertaining.

The storyline centers around the protagonist, Willy Wonka, a young man with big imaginations, as he arrives in Europe. He has no money but plans to make his fortune by presenting his chocolate inventions to the villagers at the Galleries Gourmet, the world-famous plaza where only the best chocolatiers in the world sell their goods.

Wonka’s aspirations become complicated when he becomes indebted to a crooked couple that own a washing business. He must find a way to escape and keep his dreams alive. He is further hampered by a trio of competing chocolatiers who plot to keep him from succeeding in order to protect their own chocolate-selling interests.

If you have seen the movie in theaters, you were probably surprised to hear the main character, Wonka, played by Timothée Chalamet, singing in the opening scene. There was little in the trailers promoting the movie that indicated that it is a musical. The musical genre is currently trending downward in the film world, so Hollywood is creating more song-free movie trailers to avoid discouraging ticket sales. However, the songs are catchy and the soundtrack has a good variety of ballads and spirited songs.

“Wonka” has a positive message, with themes centering around dreaming big, working hard, and friendship. Willy Wonka’s friends play a key role in the storyline and add a fun element to the film. Each of them is unique in their personality and talents, and Wonka brings them all together in a delightful way, teaching valuable lessons about teamwork in the process. 

Some see “Wonka” as too whimsical and sweet, with little depth and major plot holes. But, like its predecessor, this movie is magical and happy-go-lucky, and it’s meant to be that way. When movie-goers sit in front of the screen, it is intended that they be transferred into a world of their own pure imagination, which makes the uplifting movie a breath of fresh air. 

This is a movie that is bright, colorful, and captivating on the big screen. Be sure to catch it in the theater before it is gone!

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Express
$0
$800
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Juan Hills High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.