Water Polo Wins League, 2nd in CIF

Rafael Alcala, Staff Writer

The 2016-17 boys water polo team placed its highest ever in SJHHS history after winning league this season.

According to the team, this year was a lot different from the last. “This year we played a lot better. We had a lot more chemistry, which made us play better as a team,” said senior Brent McClain.

McClain has been playing water polo at the school for four consecutive years now. He was awarded MVP for this season this year by the team. He said that he hopes that the juniors next year can make it all the way past league and win the CIF championship next year.

McClain has been talking to colleges to see the possibility of continuing his water polo career past high school.

The last game against John Burroughs High School for CIF, the Stallions did not win, which ended the game 12-7 at the buzzer.

“We played well for our last game. The entire team tried their hardest even though it was a loss,” said senior Cole Bursey.

McClain was the leading scorer that game, making 4 goals before the last buzzer. “The first half was rough, but we gained more momentum during the second half,” added McClain.

The juniors this year that were already on varsity will help out the underclassmen who will compete next year. With Coach E’s third year as the coach next year, the team will have a greater chance of focusing on what they need to improve to help them win league again for the second time in a row.