CUSD Offers Meal Service During School Closure

Ella Villar

A volunteer for the drive-through lunch service hands a student a bag of food at Marco Forester Middle School. For the next three weeks, breakfast and lunch will be available at various elementary and middle schools for any student due to school closure.

Ella Villar, Managing Editor

CUSD is continuing to provide food for students who need it during the COVID-19 closures.

For the next three weeks, or however long the schools will be closed, the CUSD is offering a drive-through meal service.

Open from 11:30 to 1:00, free meals will be offered to any child 18 and under. 

The drive-through services will be located at San Juan Elementary, Las Palmas Elementary, Hidden Hills Elementary, and Marco Forester Middle School.

On March 13, the Los Angeles Unified School District also announced school closure. The LAUSD is one of the largest districts in the country and, according to the LA Times, 80% of their students rely on free or reduced-price lunches.

Free or reduced-price lunches are provided to families that are at or below 130% of the poverty income threshold.

Prior to the announcement of school closure, there were many questions regarding how students on the free-reduced lunch program will obtain food. Because CUSD schools are closed, there are a lot of struggles that families in a lower socioeconomic community will face such as childcare, and living with a potentially suspended income. Students depend on schools for more than most people know.

The school closure situation was found to be very similar to summertime. Students still obtain food during the summer season even though school is not in session through the Summer Food Service Program.

Students are able to receive meals as long as they are present at the drive-through. There are no other requirements or paperwork that need to be present in order for someone to receive food.

In addition to the drive-through meal service, the district is also working to create a system of online education to keep students learning. The problem with the creation of online learning is that not all students have access to the internet or a computer/ technological device to work. 

The LAUSD requested more money from the state to purchase more computers to distribute to the student body because there was not enough for every individual student.

CUSD has not made arrangements to distribute Chromebooks to students because there is still no definite plan for online learning.

There will be more news and information released about education over the next three weeks after the board meeting that will be held on March 25th. News and additional information about COVID-19 and the CUSD’s response can be found on the district’s website.