• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Risky Bets: The Hidden World of Sports Gambling

Graphic by Sofia Bello
Illustration demonstrates the chance taken when gambling on a sport. Some make profit, others lose it.

In life people are forced to take chances. Chances teach people to limit testing lessons and change the trajectory of their lives.

Some people watch sports games for entertainment, others watch sports in hopes of turning a profit. An increasing number of teenagers have begun investing in sports gambling. Not to mention, underage gambling is illegal and it also puts teens at risk of potential addiction.

Underage betting may have serious legal repercussions such as  fines, a suspension of driver’s license, probation, or even jail time.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, online gambling has become more accessible putting more risks in young adults.

Sports gambling is legal in all 50 states, however, in California you must be 21 or older to legally participate in sports betting. Teens have been using popular apps such as ‘DraftKings’ and ‘Prize Picks’ where they can place bets in hopes of earning money.

“I use Prize Picks, I know the most about football and doubt I’ll lose money. I typically only bet when there are free squares, which is a free bet that is going to win no matter what,” said one source who agreed to speak with The Express on condition of anonymity.

These apps are easy to download, requiring only an ID to register. Prize Picks is considered a fantasy sport, which means it’s legal in all states.

According to the National Council on Problem Gambling, “between 60 and 80 percent of high school students report having gambled for money.”

A first-time better, who spoke to us, was able to make a profit after this year’s big game, Super Bowl LVIII.

“The Super Bowl was my first time betting, they were giving out free bets so I was like ‘why not try.’ They gave me $20 in free bets and I came out with $40,” said the source.

In a landmark 2018 court case, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the sports betting industry. This ruling has encouraged teenagers to download apps as they’ve seen Tiktokers and popular influencers get involved.

According to the Responsible Gambling Council, playing simulated gambling games is a gateway to later gambling with real money, increasing the odds of doing so by 8.9%.

Sports betting under-age remains illegal in California but that hasn’t stopped people from getting involved. 

“I didn’t place a bet on a team or a player. I simply won $500 betting on how many times they’d show Taylor Swift during the game,” said another student.

Sports betting is only going to increase in popularity as apps and social media have become easier to access. 

Compulsive gambling may chase bets that lead to disappointing losses, continuing an addictive drive to win some cash. 

“I’m still planning on betting in the future but it’s important to know my limits and to be careful,” noted one teenage gambler.