• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Girls Flag Football: CIF’s Newest Sport

+Receiver+Sydney+Hogancamp+%2811%29+carries+the+ball+toward+the+end+zone+in+a+varsity+tournament+game.+The+Stallions+ended+up+winning+the+game+12-6+over+the+Foothill+Knights.
Joaquin Serrato
Receiver Sydney Hogancamp (11) carries the ball toward the end zone in a varsity tournament game. The Stallions ended up winning the game 12-6 over the Foothill Knights.

Friday nights at high schools across the country, America’s sport is played. This is then followed by College football Saturdays and NFL Sundays. This is what Americans look forward to after a long work week beginning in the summer-fall transition season.

However, yard lines will be chalked, grass will be watered and chains will be moved more frequently. Football is now a girls game. 

It isn’t the first year of girls’ high school leagues playing America’s sport. 2023 marks the first year where Girls Flag Football is a sport under the California Interscholastic Federation [CIF]. The previous two seasons were organized and played through the Matt Leinart Flag Football League.  

“I actually thought it was going to be a club [sport] all four years that I would be here. It was so cool when I found out that it was going to be a CIF sport. I’m really excited to play with my team. I would have never imagined that it was going to be CIF” said wide receiver Ava Defilippo (10).

2021 was the inaugural season of the girls Leinart league. Running back Aleena Ali (11), who was in her freshman year at the time, noticed a lot of excitement for the sport. 

“I remember that girls flag football that year [2021-22] was growing. I wasn’t sure if it was going to become official [CIF] because there’s so many rules [for CIF certification]. I’d [then] see it as becoming a CIF sport because so many girls were becoming more and more interested,” said running back Aleena Ali (11).  

Head Coach Corey Hill believes that the future of girls on the football field is a bright one. 

“The future of [Girls] Flag Football is strong. We’ve seen unbelievable growth in the sport over the last few years with seven states having high school flag football sanctioned for girls. Another 25 that are test mode now and will hopefully have it sanctioned within the next couple of years. Over 30 states [potentially] playing girls flag football. I think it just speaks to the magnitude of impact that this [sport] could potentially have. You’ll start to see more girls participating on the collegiate level with additional schools and divisions getting flag football going,” said Hill. 

Ali and two other varsity Stallions were acknowledged as Top Returning Orange County Juniors. Running backs Cailyn Hill (11) and slot receiver Sydney Hogancamp (11) are also among the top twelve juniors in the county. 

Cailyn Hill , who has played two seasons in the Leinart league, reveals the responsibilities that come with being a leader on the field. 

“Making sure all the new players know where to go on the field. It’s definitely hard your first year to get used to all of your positions and knowing how to read the [play] wristband. Reminding them what the routes are and just making sure everyone is showing up to practice,” said Hill.

JV quarterback Sienna Soto (9) explains how the opportunity hasn’t always been there for girls. 

“I’ve always wanted to play flag football since I was younger. I would always watch my brothers do it. My dad is a flag football coach for [the] Matt Leinart [League]. I was never able to join a boys team. I always thought, ‘For us girls, why not?’” said Soto. 

Despite never having played the sport in an organized league before high school, safety Gemma Goldman is one of three freshmen who made the varsity squad. 

Over 30 states [potentially] playing girls flag football. I think it just speaks to the magnitude of impact that this [sport] could potentially have.

— Corey Hill

“When I was little I used to play football in the backyard with my neighbors and it was such a fun experience. When I heard it was a sport I really wanted to join because it’s super exciting,” said Goldman. 

The goal of the season for the Stallions is straightforward to assistant coach Chad Hogancamp; to bring home a league banner. 

“The goal is winning and becoming champions. For us as coaches, at the varsity level, the goal is to win league and also win each tournament we enter. This year there is not going to be a CIF playoffs but we do have an eight team league, [and] our goal is to win that league,” said Hogancamp.   

The Varsity team defeated Mission Viejo High School 18-13 in their first game of Orange Coast League action. The Stallions will play each of their league opponents twice, once at home and the other away. Alongside Mission Viejo High School, the teams that the league features are; Aliso Niguel, Capistrano Valley, Dana Hills, Tesoro and Trabuco Hills.