Girls Basketball Takes Their Game to State

Sydney Wolfe

Sydney Peterson (11) goes up for a shot during the last 30 seconds of the first quarter of the game. Peterson scored 12 points in total for the Stallions.

Carter Van Zanten, Sports Editor

Girls Basketball has broken school records, winning 26 of 32 games played and taking the South Coast League title. For the first time in school history, the girls made it to state, and won the first two state rounds.

Coaches Paul Edwards, Brett Hudson and Carlyle Duffield led the team to success.

“The season has been fantastic. We won the South Coast league title for the 2nd year in a row and have the most wins in school history for a girls team at San Juan Hills. We finished in the final 4 of CIF and qualified for the state playoffs for the first time,” said Paul Edwards.

With a team of returning players, this year’s team consists largely of students that played together previously last year, allowing further growth and familiarity with one another.

“I think we learned a lot from last year. We have a lot of the same players because we had no seniors so I think we took a lot of the lessons from games last year,” said senior varsity player, Amanda Edwards.

Amanda Edwards is the senior captain, and recently set the all-time school record for over one thousand 3-point shots made in one season.

“I think what’s helped me get there is shooting everyday. You definitely have to put in work consistently,” said Amanda Edwards.

Leading the team in scoring and rebounding is sophomore Anna Shreeve. Junior Aryanna Hudson is the point guard, setting the school record for most assists in a season. Both the defense and offense hold strong athletes, who are able to work with each other’s strengths to win.

“The greatness of the team is that so many different individuals have played big roles,” said Paul Edwards.

“I think that we’ve all been playing for so long together that we finally started to reach our potential,” said Shreeve.

The successful season comes to an end, making school history with an exciting future ahead.