Boys Basketball Finishes Best Season In the Team’s History

Sydney Wolfe

The team celebrates as they score a point during their season game. With an over-arching record this season unlike another, they have have much to be celebrate.

Alyssa Morrone, Staff Writer

Boys Basketball finished their last game of the season, bringing a close to what has easily been the best season the team has ever seen.

With a winning record of 27-5, the previous record being 16, the team advanced incredibly far, their crowning achievement bringing home the title of CIF-Southern Section Champions. 

On top of being the second league win in a row, Southern Section is the largest CIF section in California, with 558 competing teams. This means that there are only ten teams to win each year, SJHHS being one of them.

This places the Boys Basketball team as 2022 CIF Champions, a title which will be recognized for the future of the team, and makes them currently undefeated 2022 Sea View League Champions.

“It was an absolute dream to win CIF. It is the biggest prize you can win in high school sports,” said head coach, Jason Efstathiou. “Every team in every sport typically makes it a goal to try and win their league each season.”

This is the best team in the history of the school and it’s not even close. They have shattered every record and won more than any other team before them.

— Jason Efstathiou

This win has reinforced the team’s CIF ranking as number one in CIF Division 2A, in relation to the performance of other teams in the division, a spot they have held since December 2021. 

Breaking records at an uncharted pace, from a longest winning streak of 10 games and a winning percentage of 84, the whole team is proud of the absolute victory the season has been all together.

“This is the best team in the history of the school and it’s not even close. They have shattered every record and won more than any other team before them,” says Efstathiou.

The final game of the season finished in a close match to Birmingham High School 56-64, which ended their chance at the State Championship. 

However, the entire season as a whole has been one of insurmountable excitement and victory, which has drowned out any disappointment of the loss.

Closing out this unprecedented record of wins, the team can rest assured that their hard work, focus, and dedication to the team has paid off in a brilliant close to a remarkable season.