Girls Waterpolo Continues to Thrive

Gabby Laurente

Junior Kimora Farry takes a shot on the goalie from Hillcrest during the lady Stallions’ second round CIF game. The girls won 12-4.

Nikki Iyer, Staff Writer

Girls varsity water polo brought home another trophy for SJHHS, their second straight league championship.

Last year, the team won league for the first time in team history, and they seem to be making that a tradition. On top of the league victory, they finished with 18 wins and a trip to CIF. 

“I think each season gets better and better as you grow as a person and as a player. This season was amazing, we had an amazing team with great people in it,” said senior Sarah Cahill, a player on varsity. 

During league, the team played four other schools: Trabuco Hills, Laguna Hills, Capistrono Valley, and Mission Viejo. Team captain, senior Kimora Farry, found they had a difficult game against Capo Valley High School.

I think each season gets better and better as you grow as a person and as a player. This season was amazing, we had an amazing team with great people in it.

— Cahill

“One of our sophomores, Maggie Pike, she really helped us out in that game. She turned it on and she scored half the goals in that game. That was a really big game and was what made us come first in league,” said Farry. Because they won this game, they were able to play finals without having to participate in the entire tournament. 

The team was extremely happy to find they made it into CIF. With the strong connections they have made with each other, and dedication they put into the season, it was an ultimate victory for the team.

“Winning league was my favorite. Everyone was elated when we won, and seeing people so happy makes me happy,” said Cahil. 

Cahill finds the coaches have done a great job of pushing players to become their best. “The coaches are great, they are all super supportive of each and every one of us and want us to do our best in everything we do in and out of the water,” said Cahill.

The team works well together in and even out of the pool. Each Wednesday night, the players have team dinners. 

Being on a sports team, Farry finds she has to balance her academics and sports, while also making sure she does not pull her team down. 

“Playing a sport definitely changes what it means to be a student, because on top of having your normal responsibilities of being a student you have all of these outside responsibilities that come with being a part of a team,” said Farry.