Girls Basketball Wins League For Second Year

Warren Unzueta

Grace Gentry (12) positions herself to make a basket during Tuesday’s Senior Night game against Mission Viejo High School. Gentry finished with 14 points as the Stallions beat the Diablos by a score of 59-27.

Grace Aitken, Co Editor-In-Chief

Girls Basketball won first in league in an exciting game against Laguna Hills High School, with a final score of 38-35. This is their second league title in a row.
They continued on to get through the first round of CIF, winning 59-49 against Chaparral High School on February 13. However, they lost 43-36 in a game against Lancaster High School on February 15, ending their season.
They’ve had an exciting season, and performed much better than anticipated. They weren’t expected to win league, and defeated many of the teams they were predicted to lose to. A highlight was when senior Grace Gentry scored a game-winning buzzer-beater in a game against SJHHS’s rival, Tesoro.

We won against Tesoro, and in the OC Register, they said that we were going to lose. And then it ended up being a really close game, and it was tied with 3 seconds left, and we had it and I scored a buzzer-beater,

— Gentry

“We won against Tesoro, and in the OC Register, they said that we were going to lose. And then it ended up being a really close game, and it was tied with 3 seconds left, and we had it and I scored a buzzer-beater,” said Gentry.
The team is close both on and off the court, and the girls have developed close friendships with one another.

“I feel like I’ve gotten to know my teammates really closely, they’re most of my friends even outside of basketball. It’s been nice getting to know different people. We kind of forget grades or who any of us are. We wouldn’t know each other if it wasn’t for basketball, but I’m glad we do,” said Gentry.
“I think our team is so much closer this year, it’s fun. I love every single girl on the team,” said senior Kiley Espineira.

While the team is competitive and intense on the court, off of it they have a fun and goofy dynamic.
“We always do karaoke in the weight room, and it scares our coaches,” said Espineira.
Team members would even pull pranks on each other.
“Some of the players on our team got bags of slime at their doorstep and we didn’t know who put them there,” said senior Grace Colby.
“We did this in October, and no one ever found out. We put really gross stuff in there because we were really bored. It was me and Emily Freeman right before the season started, and we dropped them off at people’s houses. We cut out magazines and cut out their names and put it on their doorstep. It was all a huge scheme,” said Gentry.
Team dinners and parties were lively and fun, and the team has many rich traditions they uphold every season.
They often play “sardines,”, a game where players hide around campus, and other players have to find them and hide with them. “We play sardines at every team dinner. Me and Emily Freeman are the best at it,” said Gentry.
In addition, they also play headphone karaoke at team parties and make gingerbread houses every Christmas.
The team had an amazing season both on and off the court, and are excited to see what successes next year brings them.