• "Little Women" Premieres Jan. 23-26

• Winter Formal Tickets On Sale Now!

• SJHHS MUN Wins Four Awards At CVHS Conference

• Virtual Enterprise Class Qualifies for State Competition

• History Teacher Bill Kaiser Wins Teacher of the Year

• Football Player Sean Rhyan Commits to UCLA

Athletics Scores Student Safety Award

Athletics Scores Student Safety Award

Micah Ohlen gathers with Stallion athletes from volleyball, basketball, tennis, and more to celebrate San Juan Hills High school being awarded the Safe Sports School award.

Courtesy of Ralph Mattera

Courtesy of Ralph Mattera

Courtesy of Ralph Mattera

Jack O'Connor, Staff Writer

The National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School award was given to San Juan Hills High School for their outstanding Athletic Program. SJHHS was awarded this due to excellent care, injury, prevention, and treatment given to its’ athletes.

The National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School award is given for schools who promote positive athletic healthcare, encourage safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities, have protocols in place in case of injury or illness, and much more.

“We remain committed to the health and welfare of young athletes in competitive sports. This award recognizes the contributions and commitment of schools across the country that are implementing safe sports policies and best practices to ensure athletes can do what they love best and have the appropriate care in place to prevent, manage, and treat injuries should they occur,” said the National Athletic Trainers’ Association President Scott Sailor, EdD, ATC.

Micah Ohlen ”

— SJHHS is honored to receive this First Team recognition from NATA, and we remain committed to keeping our student athletes safe during physical education classes, team practices, and games so they can accomplish their own goals of great competition, winning records, fair sportsmanship, and good health. Our goal is to lead our athletics program to the highest safety standards for our players.

The NATA gave the award to SJHHS because the Stallion’s athletic program encourages healthy behavior and provides suitable care for their athletes.

“SJHHS is honored to receive this First Team recognition from NATA, and we remain committed to keeping our student athletes safe during physical education classes, team practices, and games so they can accomplish their own goals of great competition, winning records, fair sportsmanship, and good health. Our goal is to lead our athletics program to the highest safety standards for our players,” said SJHHS Athletic Trainer, Micah Ohlen.

“I think we have an advantage over every other schoool in the district. We have Micah Ohlen who is an unbelevibly dedicated Athletic Trainer. He is extremely commited to the school and the players and his own education and advancing that. He has brought a culture of safety to this school that’s really unparralleled. I try to keep kids safe with shoulder pads and stuff, but reality is he is putting kids back together out there” said Athletic Equipment Manager, Ralf Mattera.

Jack O'Connor, Staff Writer

Jack is a sophomore at San Juan Hills High School. This will be his first year on The Express. Jack is a hurdler on the track team and also runs for the...