Athletic Director Flowers Announces Departure

Head Football Coach Aaron Flowers will move to Idaho to coach and teach at another high school. The teachers and students have a strong relationship with Flowers as he has been a valued member of the school since the opening.

Kaden Brown

Kaden Brown

Gavin Aitken, Boys Sports Editor

Athletic Director and head football coach Aaron Flowers announced that he would be leaving SJHHS at the end of the school year to pursue new opportunities out of state. He will be replaced by former El Toro head coach and San Clemente assistant coach Rob Frith.

Flowers took over the football coach position from Greg Gibson in 2011 and transformed a struggling Stallion squad into a perennial contender. While Flowers coached the team, the Stallions had a winning record in five of his seven seasons and reached CIF playoffs five years in a row.

“The hardest part of [leaving the school] is the relationships that have been created and the way I feel about this school and this staff,” said Flowers in an email to staff.

After former Athletic Director Armando Gonzalez left his position at the end of the 2016-2017 school year, Flowers took over the director job along with co-director Farrel Moore, girls soccer coach. He also stepped in as AP of Guidance to work on the master schedule last year.

SJHHS football experienced its most successful period with Flowers at the helm, including a Sea View League title in 2013, their first CIF victory, and their promotion into the South Coast League, which is the top conference in the region. Next year Stallion football will return to the less competitive Sea View League.

This is a great place with an awesome administration and a special staff, and while I’m sad to be leaving after this year, it’s also an exciting new beginning for my family.”

— Aaron Flowers

During the 2017 season, the Stallions beat Redondo Union 24-23 in an absolute thriller of a match to win their first CIF match since 2013. They would subsequently lose to the eventual champions Cajon in what would be Flowers’ final game in charge of the program.

Flowers, who had a career record of 42-35 as head coach of the Stallions, will continue his duties as a teacher and co-athletic director for the remainder of the school year.

“This is a great place with an awesome administration and a special staff, and while I’m sad to be leaving after this year, it’s also an exciting new beginning for my family,” said Flowers.

Frith enjoyed massive success during his six year run at El Toro (2009-2014). During his tenure, he led the Chargers to a career 40-18 record, with five CIF playoff appearances and a CIF finals appearance. He then took over as the Athletic Director at El Toro from 2015-2016 before joining San Clemente as an assistant coach, where he’s stayed until his switch to SJHHS.

Gavin Aitken, Co-Sports Editor
Gavin Aitken is the editor of the sports section of The Express. Gavin is a senior and is in his third year of writing for The Express. He participates in multiple activities at SJHHS, and especially enjoys playing on the soccer team and running his own podcast. Gavin likes to watch ESPN, hang out with...