• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Down With The Gown? No Way!

White robes at graduation are a well-deserved reward for years of hard work.
Bill Kaiser
Class of 2023 seniors enter the Badlands on graduation day, many clad in white robes. While students are no longer segregated by their robe colors at the ceremony, the tradition persists until CUSD can decide on a time when they might be phased out.

After 13 years of hard work students prepare to celebrate their achievements with family and friends at graduation.

Depending on academic achievement while in highschool, students wear one of two colors to graduation. Blue gowns are standard for most people. However, those who achieve a 4.0 GPA or higher  are given the opportunity to stand out from their peers in white gowns.

While gowns might seem hurtful to some students, there is some merit to uplifting students who went above and beyond for their academics.

Even though the different colored gowns do separate students, this system is not ill-intentioned seeing as a student’s designated gown color is earned through their own hard work. Gowns are not the only way student achievement is recognized at graduation. In fact, the majority of graduates all receive some type of award.   

“Some students also receive other cords, tassels, stoles, and medallions for other academic achievements,” said Activities Director Brooke Valderrama. 

Students wearing white gowns have to go the extra mile by taking AP courses and honors courses. These classes higher grades require more time and work for students. Anyone can wear a white gown, it just depends on who is willing to put in the effort. While GPA is not a perfect metric, it is a fairly accurate metric.

No matter what color of gown a student is given; they both get smiles of pride from family, friends, and teachers all the same on this special day.

Overall, gown color doesn’t undermine the fact that all students have accomplished something amazing by making it to  graduation. Something else to keep in mind is the fact that gown color doesn’t tell the whole story. Some students with less than a 4.0 GPA may have done other amazing things, such as volunteering in the community, helping their family, or maintaining a job. You don’t need a white gown to acknowledge your achievements. It’s also not a predictor of what you can do in the future.

At the end of the day, the gown is cosmetic, a different color put onto the same piece of clothing. It isn’t the end of the world if you don’t get the white gown, nor does it make you better than everyone else to have one. It only identifies those who went above and beyond on their academic path.