• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

What in the World is Going on With Middle Schoolers?

Claire Stafford

In the three years between elementary and high school, students go through an almost unexplainable change. Innocent students become feral delinquents for that brief period of time, and then return to their calmer nature shortly after entering high school.

In middle school, levels of responsibility and social dynamics change. This change causes middle schoolers to explore their identities and find their place. Confusion caused by this shift, coupled with peer pressure, often creates a breeding ground for chaos. As parents begin to loosen the reins on their children, instead of going on playdates, middle schoolers start “hanging out” without supervision.  These unsupervised meetups are far different from their previous trips to playgrounds with their parents. On many occasions, tweens walk to shopping centers or the mall and spend hours wandering around aimlessly because it is considered “cool.”  

When middle schoolers aren’t tormenting Starbucks workers or getting kicked out of Target, they are often found on e-bikes speeding down the street ignoring all traffic laws. These bikers ride in mass groups regarded as “e-bike gangs,” in which they recklessly leave bikes on walkways and pollute parking lots with their mayhem. These gangs also roam neighborhoods, blowing up mailboxes with cherry bombs and cheesing passing cars.

E-bikes are middle schoolers’ main form of transportation because they provide them with the freedom and independence they desperately crave. No longer forced to rely on others for transportation, middle schoolers can organize their own social interactions. 

New interactions also mean new relationships. Middle school is notorious for being a time in which friendship dynamics change and many begin “dating.” Middle schoolers often feel pressured to start getting into relationships because they believe it is the next step in their journey toward maturity. At the same time, tweens are also discovering who they are and what cliques they want to be a part of. Students who have been friends since kindergarten might choose to go their separate ways and create their own personal identities. 

Many of these identities are formed around what they and their new clique classify as “cool.” Tweens begin incorporating swear words into their vernacular, even when it’s completely unnecessary. This excessive and awkward cursing is a cringy memory for mature high schoolers. Not only do they begin swearing, but also begin experimenting with drinking and vaping. While many tweens are innocently trying to discover how they fit into an environment that praises maturity, some often suffer from the consequences of their experimentation. Many rightfully receive backlash for vaping, drinking, or even cursing, all the while others are judged for not partaking in these activities. Because of this convoluted response, some become insecure and question if or why others are judging them. 

These insecurities cause many middle schoolers to rebel even further. If they already don’t fit in, why should they try and start? This can cause many tweens to go off the deep end and hang around people they don’t necessarily enjoy and do things they don’t agree with. This is a reaction to feeling as though they don’t fit accepted social norms, so they consequently create their own. 

Middle school is a challenging time for most and this challenge can manifest in extremely different ways depending on the person. Some choose to challenge authority, others find their way, and many end up developing major insecurities that will follow them into high school. 

After they graduate from eighth grade, these tweens become high schoolers and then develop alternative issues leaving their middle school peculiarities behind.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Express
$0
$800
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Juan Hills High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.