• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

A Timeless Classic Reimagined, or Changed Completely?

Alex Alvord
Two hands: one traditionalist, and one pushing for representational change are fighting over the story of Snow White and the cultural significance it holds. One side argues that the original representation of Snow White must be preserved, while the other says that it must be modernized.

The Grimm brothers’s timeless fairy tale, Snow White, is being reimagined again by Disney with more representation and a modern spin, but is it even the same story? 

The remake will feature a more racially diverse cast, which differs from the original set of characters.

The film stars Rachel Zegler as Snow White, but this actress has sparked controversy due to her pessimistic outlook on this classic tale. The backlash has been intense due to the controversial public statements said by Zegler, and the change in plot or roles.

Because of the presumed offense to people with dwarfism, the movie did not hire actors with dwarfism. “You’re replacing jobs that people could have us as little people. It’s for dwarfs. Why are you hiring Snow White and the seven average people?,” said Jason Acuna, an actor with dwarfism. The desire for political correction of the story only starts with the exclusion of  dwarf actors. 

“It’s no longer 1937: We absolutely wrote a ‘Snow White’ that … she’s not going to be saved by the prince, and she’s not going to be dreaming about true love; she’s going to be dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be,” said Zegler. Moving away from the storyline’s dependence on love for a more feminist approach to the story completely changes it down to the thought process of the characters. If you change Snow White’s personality, is it still Snow White? 

David Hand, son of the original Disney classic’s director, said “…they just aren’t the original stories anymore. …There’s no respect for what Disney did and what my dad did… I think Walt and he would be turning in their graves.“ Hand also added, “Why call it a remake? Why not just make a new film with an exciting story?… If a cartoon worked so brilliantly like Little Mermaid did or even like Snow White did back in 1937 when even I wasn’t around, it’s often a mistake to try and redo it.” 

Another point to consider is that filmmakers should put more effort into making the next classic rather than changing the past. Exposure to many different people is great for shaping character and acceptance, but why do that? Just because the past does not live up to modern ethical standards, doesn’t mean it’s not a good film or piece of history. Encourage shaping the future, rather than meddling in the past. 

There are unconfirmed rumors that the movie’s production was halted. Many are unsure as to whether or not the movie is still in production. If it is still in production, the movie will be set to come out March in 2024.