Complicated Dress Code Leaves Students Questioning

Ellie+MacGregor+%2810%29+wears+a+shirt+with+inadequate+coverage+which+would+be+reprimanded+by+SJHHS+proctors+according+to+the+new+dress+code.+

Gabby Laurente

Ellie MacGregor (10) wears a shirt with inadequate coverage which would be reprimanded by SJHHS proctors according to the new dress code.

Ava Nguyen, Staff Writer

In a generation that is heavily influenced by media and advertising, fashion and self expression plays a huge role in the daily lives of nearly every teenager. 

Students are constantly affected by the rules of high school in general, but many are unaware of what the dress code actually permits and does not. 

“Within a school environment, there needs to be structure,” said Darin Jindra, one of the assistant principals at SJHHS. 

While the school is in agreement with the act of self expression, it is encouraged in an appropriate manner. Unlike many other schools, Jindra is very aware of the trends that students enjoy keeping up with. 

“Styles change, things come up during the school year, and we aim to keep it current,” said Jindra. Of course, the school would not keep the same dress code policies of the 1980s.

But for some students, there are many accounts of the school dress code that are not necessary. 

Styles change, things come up during the school year, and we aim to keep it current

— Jindra

Sophomore Ariana Rosales told the story of her warning for dress code violation while wearing what she described as a “regular shirt.” She said that Ms. Kim, a supervisor, told her that her “shirt was too short,” and that if pulled up it would show her stomach, but if pulled down would reveal too much cleavage. 

Though it is understandable that Rosales be asked to not wear the shirt to school again, it is unclear why there is not a better solution than making her wear a hoodie in the hot, midday weather. “It is not my fault because my body is the way it is,” said Rosales. 

It tends to get undesirably hot during times like lunch and break at SJHHS so not being able to wear clothing suited for the weather is often times uncomfortable. “Spaghetti straps prohibited on a hot day is ridiculous,” said an anonymous source.

With more than 2,000 students, it almost feels like bad luck to be dress coded as there are so many students violating the rules that get to walk away with no consequence. 

The dress code is not only vague, but also holds bias against girls and their right to express themselves. Many boys wear clothing that displays naked women, drugs, profanity, or violence, yet some girls get in trouble for showing their shoulders. 

There is expressive freedom, but there seems to be less equality than there should be.

“If you feel like you might question [whether or not you’ll get dress coded], then go to our website and read through the rules and regulations for yourself,” said Jindra. More information about dress code can be found here.