• History Teacher Bill Kaiser Wins Teacher of the Year

• Football Player Sean Rhyan Commits to UCLA

• Finals Week 12/18-12/20

• Link Crew Hosting Holiday Potluck for Freshman 12/13

• CSF Collecting Unwrapped Toys for Toys for Tots

• 2nd Annual SJHHS Kindess Week Nov. 13-16

CHYA Implementation Will Save Inclusive Sex Education

It is time to tackle the taboo.

Lucy+Law+%2812%29+speaks+at+the+CUSD+board+meeting+on+Wednesday%2C+November+14+to+discuss+ways+they+can+improve+sexual+education+in+schools+throughout+Capistrano+Unified+School+District.+

Lucy Law (12) speaks at the CUSD board meeting on Wednesday, November 14 to discuss ways they can improve sexual education in schools throughout Capistrano Unified School District.

Lucy Hughitt

Lucy Hughitt

Lucy Hughitt

Lucy Law, Co-Editor in Chief

As of now, sexual education amongst middle and high schools in CUSD is incomprehensive. From the topics that are touched upon, only the very basics are brought up.

Sex is a stigmatized subject that is generally avoided, even though it is frequent amid students. Education on the topic, however, leads to better decisions, prevents teen pregnancies, and sexually transmitted infections among teens.

The California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA) was passed in 2015, and requires age appropriate, all inclusive sex-ed, specifically adding LGBTQ topics into the curriculum. While the law in California, now, requires sex-ed to include AIDS/HIV prevention, it does not require comprehensive sex-ed, like CHYA demands it should.

A lot of my peers don’t remember anything because it isn’t portrayed as an important class, just something you need to graduate.”

— Autumn Ground

CUSD decided to draft its own, CHYA based, curriculum instead of implementing CHYA itself. Planning a whole new curriculum takes time, and CUSD is currently meeting with students, parents and staff to receive input and make adjustments by spring 2019

Part of CHYA is to teach abstinence as an option for birth control, and also teach about other contraceptives so that students can understand that there are other options available in order to stay safe when having sex. Students learn about abortion, and they are taught the meaning of sexual assault.

A problem that is brought up frequently when discussing CHYA with it’s opposers, is the fact that parents are uncomfortable with grasping the idea that their children can be independent, sexual beings.

Sexual education does not cause children to crave sex. It teaches life skills that children will take with them for the rest of their lives.

The whole point of CHYA is to establish healthy attitude towards sex and relationships, the two being important factors in one’s life.

“We will be organizing a task force made up of students, health teachers, school nurses, parents, and administrators to identify lessons and activities that can be taught in high school health classes to ensure that students receive this valuable instruction,” said Assistant Superintendent Josh Hill.

Students that took health as an online course, were taught vague, easygoing lessons that failed to leave an impression

“I took health online. It was so easy. It didn’t go into depth about anything, especially when it came to having protected sex. We even talked very little about STDs and how to prevent them. It was very easy to skip things and just not learn, and it definitely won’t help me later in life when I need it,” said junior, Quinn Dohman.

For students that choose to take health online, the course will also be updated to include the new lessons.

“I was taught what a condom was, but not about other types of birth control. Me and my friends had to do our own research about that. I want to go into medicine, so health was important for me, but a lot of my peers don’t remember anything because it isn’t portrayed as an important class, just something you need to graduate,” said senior, Autumn Ground.

Students don’t realize the importance of sex education until it’s too late to prevent the consequences of unprotected sex, or too late to acknowledge the signs of an abusive relationship.

It didn’t go into depth about anything, especially when it came to having protected sex.”

— Quinn Dohman

According to Guttmacher Institute, as of 2015, fewer than six percent of LGBT students in the US aged 13–21 reported that their health classes had included positive representations of LGBT-related topics.

More and more schools started focusing on how to say no to sex, rather than how to protect oneself during sex. Teaching an abstinence only curriculum is with-holding valuable information from impressionable students. CHYA based lessons will keep all students informed and safe, which is the most important thing in a school environment, and in a personal life.

The fact that there are some parents against comprehensive sexual education, but strive to keep their children safe does not make sense. The two go hand in hand. A child is taught how to properly hold scissors because everyone uses scissors. Everyone eventually has sex so it should always be encouraged to learn the proper precautions.

Lucy Law, Co Editor-in-Chief

Lucy is a senior at SJHHS and is excited to be returning for her third year for The Express as Co Editor-in-Chief. When she’s not writing, you can find...