Trump at the United Nations

Art+by%3A+Katie+Brubaker+

Katie Brubaker

Art by: Katie Brubaker

Katie Brubaker, Feature Editor

On September 19, President Trump delivered a 40 plus minute speech at the seventy-second meeting of the United Nations that illuminated his world view. The President primarily focused on the need for the United States to put its own people and prosperity first and that all other nations should do the same. Trump utilized the terms “sovereign” and “sovereignty” 21 times to make his point.

To support his position Tump noted that individual, sovereign nations have the capability of taking care of themselves. The President went on to cite history, though some would argue inaccurately, to support his isolationist view. “Marshall Plan was built on the nobel idea that the whole world is safer when nations are strong, independent, and free,” said President Trump.  

If there was any uncertainty as to whether Trump was calling for isolationism, he clarified his position stating, “As President of the United States, I will always put America first.”

The President’s position is radically different than the global view that his predecessors followed since the United Nations was founded; one where the global leaders would work together to secure peace throughout the world.  An interesting idea to consider is what transpired the last time leaders sought isolationism for their country.  In AP United States History, students discussed President Trump’s perspective and plan of action. The class recalled that another time in which nations became isolated and or “sovereign,” World War II  ensued.

So what could the President’s change of America’s world view mean for America? What could this mean for the United Nations?

Without the support of stronger, more economically stable countries such as America, these nations could face dismal odds. Without the stability of these countries, is there a possibility that they may eventually harm the U.S. and its allies through acts of terrorism or war?

With isolationism, the United States could improve economically, but what becomes of the nations that are impoverished, essentially obliterated by natural disaster, or are corroded by political turmoil?

Trump’s speech veered away from his isolationist position and at the same time caused additional controversy at home. Tension with North Korea also rose when he referred to Kim Jong-un, the supreme leader of North Korea who has threatened nuclear war, as “Rocket Man,” the title of Elton John’s hit song.

“No nation on Earth has an interest in seeing this band of criminals arm itself with nuclear weapons and missiles. The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea. Rocket man is on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime. The United States is ready, willing, and able, but hopefully this will not be necessary,” said Trump.

Trump seems to say America will be isolationist, unless provoked. At the same time he heightened tensions with North Korea.

Kim Jong Un later responded to Trump’s statements made at the meeting of the United Nations. “I will make the man holding the prerogative of the supreme command in the U.S. pay dearly for his speech,” said Kim Jong Un.

Kim Jong Un also expressed his disdain for President Trump and how he plans to deal with the United States. “I will surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged US dotard with fire,” said Kim Jong Un.

With tensions rising between countries there is uncertainty as to what action the world’s leaders will take next, and how they will impact the world.