Parking Problem Still A Problem

Construction+in+the+parking+lot+near+the+C+building+started+on+Monday+and+is+expected+to+be+completed+by+next+school+year.+A+new+building+housing+24+classrooms+will+be+added+along+with+new+parking+spots.+

Bailey Bruton

Construction in the parking lot near the C building started on Monday and is expected to be completed by next school year. A new building housing 24 classrooms will be added along with new parking spots.

Sam Newman, Opinion Editor

It’s apparent that this school year has been the worst for student parking ever, due to recent construction to the parking lots. The general problems and the explanation of why the parking is so inconvenient to everyone can be read in this past story.

Now, more construction just broke ground as of Monday. This construction will add a new building that is predicted to house 24 new classrooms. It had been fenced off and left with piles of dirt, leaving parents and students alike to wonder when the construction would actually begin.

The parking lot with the construction had many of the student parking spots last year, but, due to the gradual expansion of the school, a portion of it must be used to build the new classrooms.

Assistant Principal Mr. Jindra said, “I think we had 750 [spots] before the construction, including that up there [parking lot near C building], and when we get that back, we will have four parking spots less than the original, so we are going to be right about the same as we were[before construction].”

In original construction plans from the district, the school was informed that after all of the construction, 80 new parking spots would be given.

“The district told us 80 total spaces, and they didn’t say we were going to get 80 student spots back, we weren’t clear on that. We just assume we are getting 80 additional spots, but it turns out that wasn’t the number. We are just going to be where we were before,” said Jindra.

Basically, the school thought that it was going to get 80 more student parking spots, but in reality we got 80 new spots for visitors and students.

The number of student spots did not actually change significantly, like the school and the students thought.This small miscommunication single-handedly caused a giant problem with the sophomore and junior classes and their parents.

Junior Brooke Snow said, “The school board constantly shuts down any alternative parking ideas, so I think this whole situation reflects terribly on the school.”

Although there is no point now to complain about a problem that already is irreversible, possible solutions are being brainstormed.

The space of the lower softball field was considered as an alternative, but due to technicalities with the safety of the powerlines having to be located more than 300 feet away, it did not work.

Also, the idea of creating a parking structure was suggested, but due to high costs (about $25,000 per spot), it was turned down.

The use of the Mormon church construction lot was also suggested, and you can read about why it doesn’t work here. 

Although Principal Smalley is talking to the district, no short-term fix is evident.

“We are trying to get some joint-use (contract) with the Mormon church when it’s done. In high school it’s a long time, but in construction, it’s quick,” said Jindra.

The quickest agreement with the LDS church wouldn’t happen for at least two years, when the building is completed. There is also the problem of the church even allowing for a contract that permits student parking.  

Most students, especially those in the junior class who suffered most of the effects from the problems, are still extremely unhappy and displeased with the administrations and districts lack to figure out solutions.

“I understand there was not much they [the school] could have done and they wouldn’t have wished us to not have spots. I feel like they could have been a little more open and willing to consider alternative options,” said junior Jack Patnoe.

Some students have resigned to the fact that change is impossible so late in the school year, but others remain enraged and face the adversity of change head on.

Junior Cameron Conrad said, “The administration has shamelessly passed on their headache to those that they are supposed to serve, which goes against the school’s saying of ‘at San Juan Hills High School, you matter’ referring to the students. The students should be first, not last.”

Not only does this show the school’s lack of planning in the first place, but it reflects on its lack of initiative to change its problems. Nothing says “Happy 10 Year Anniversary” like bad planning and student suffering.