Newport Prom Draft Causes Moral Controversy

Alexea Malaletkin, Editorial Editor

Just when it seemed as though we were getting somewhere in regards to the promotion of gender equality, headlines break with the exposure of a local high school’s controversial prom tradition.

A “prom draft” is what students at Corona Del Mar in Newport are labeling the undignified procedure. Male students at the high school have established their own imitation of the annual NFL draft, intending for it to become a seasonal custom, as a method of claiming girls for prom dates.

As no ranks are involved, students bid money–the highest bid this year being $140–to get first ‘pick’ of their female peers and escort them to the event.

Corona Del Mar has reportedly established a bad reputation for the city of Newport over the years, the draft being a prime example of the school’s internal dysfunction.

Members of the committee have attempted to justify the second annual draft by saying that it eliminates unnecessary disputes by generating a fair system that cannot be challenged, endorsing “camaraderie” among the benighted student body.

There seems to be no consideration of the ethical impact the continuation of this system will have on students. This will likely influence the privileged belief that money can solve any conflict, which is an unsettling concept in regards to the rise of this generation. The draft should not be considered a solution to the “pandemic” of simply not getting what you want.

The most bizarre aspect of the whole charade? Nobody has made a significant voice of opposition.

The idea that teenage girls are flattered by the concept is relatively digestible, and therefore assumed that they will not necessarily be inclined to resist the advancement. However, they are failing to consider the objectification that they are blindly falling victim to as the prize of this charade.

It is generally assumed by the student body that, as a girl, if you are pursued, you oblige. There is no deliberation of the position it puts the girl in, because she is lucky she was picked.

There is a great possibility that the only external action necessary is to publicize the controversy, drawing attention to the debacle and put things in perspective for everyone involved.

In the meantime, perhaps authoritative figures at Corona Del Mar should reassess their disciplinary action.