• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Energy With A Crash

With recent deaths related to energy drinks, many health experts and parents have raised concern over teens being the main consumer to big energy drink companies.
“Teenagers and young adults spend $2.3 billion on highly-caffeinated energy drinks like Monster, Red Bull, Amp, and Full Throttle,” said Deborah Dunham, writer for LiveStrong.
The main ingredient in energy drinks is caffeine. When taken in large amounts, caffeine raises blood pressure and heart rate which can be fatal.
The two main ingredients in energy drinks, caffeine and guarana, cause vomiting and diarrhea when large doses are consumed. These symptoms can cause dehydration which can lead to seizures, brain damage and even death when left untreated.
“I think energy drinks are horrible for you. They are not a good substance and they lead to heart attacks at a young age,” said Abryana Young.
Safe limits of caffeine for an adult are up to 400 milligrams a day. Most energy drinks hold 2 servings of product in a can. A regular sized can contains 80-240 milligrams of caffeine per serving.
“Energy drinks are unhealthy and dangerous. I don’t recommend them for anyone,” said Sharon Spiers.
Energy drinks provide a rush of energy to our mind and body but after a couple of hours, our mood declines and our body restores itself to a normal state.
The sugar in energy drinks causes an insulin spike which results in a crash-like feeling after a couple hours. The caffeine in the drink causes the sleepy feeling that accompanies a crash.
“Energy drinks are absolutely terrible. There are so many other forms of energy like natural ginseng,” said Jameson Johnson.
Natural ginseng can be found in tea or supplement form which reduces stress, boosts alertness, and aid immune system.
Energy can be increased with light exercise such as a brisk walk or yoga. Eating breakfast as soon as you wake up gives your body a boost to fuel up for the day.
Also, fatigue can be a result of dehydration so drinking plenty of water will keep you energized throughout the day.
Instead of reaching over for a can of Monster or Red Bull, try boosting your energy in a natural way to avoid the consequences that are paired with energy drinks.