• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Seniors: Stop Crying

There are a total of 1,913 lockers on campus and a total enrollment of 2,053 students when lockers were assigned, according to Darrin Jindra, assistant principal. As a result, there are not enough lockers for every student on campus.

Since enrollment tends to either increase or decrease many times throughout the year, knowing whether or not every student gets a locker is unpredictable.

For this reason, seniors are sharing lockers while all the underclassmen — freshmen, sophomores, and juniors — get to have their own personal locker.

Some may argue that seniors should have gotten first priority by receiving their own lockers, but Jindra along with administration came to a reasonable conclusion:

First, most seniors have less than six classes which means they do not have as many books or as much supplies.

Second, seniors have been in high school for three years almost four, meaning they already know how high school works, they know where everything is located, and they know how the school flows while all the underclassmen—specifically freshmen—do not.

Freshmen have everything to worry about. They have all six classes with all books and plenty of supplies. They do not know how high school works yet, they do not know where everything is located either, neither are they accustomed to the high school environment.

That is why seniors were chosen to share lockers. During registration, seniors were given the option to share a locker or buy a big locker for $20. Some seniors even chose not to have a locker since they did not need it.

Many seniors are grateful for being able to pick a partner to share with rather than being assigned with someone else. This clears up concerns about theft since there are cameras all over the locker rooms and seniors did get to choose a friend or someone they know to share with.

As the “big guys” on campus, seniors should respect and endure the decision of the new locker arrangement, for they are not as vulnerable as freshmen.