Anti-Overdose Medication Reaches CUSD Campuses, Joining Other Major Districts

Madelyn Wapner

School nurse, Kerry Coryell, holds the opioid defense nasal spray, NARCAN. In the last two months, every high school in CUSD was supplied with doses of NARCAN, to combat the opioid crisis.

Mia Tickell, News Editor

All CUSD high school campuses now have doses of NARCAN (Naloxone), the overdose reversal medication, as a precautionary measure in case of an accidental overdose.

An average of 44 people die each day from opioid overdose, a rapid increase since 2019.

CUSD joins other school districts, like Los Angeles Unified, in making NARCAN available at its school sites.

It is an administered prescription drug in the form of a nasal inhalant, given to those experiencing an opiate overdose. It is the only medication approved by the FDA that has shown success in reversing opioid overdoses and saving lives. This new addition will make schools better prepared for opioid emergencies on school grounds. 

“Currently, all of the high schools have a number of doses that are in with the nurse and in with the administration. Each high school is going to get another five or six doses. The middle schools are going to get doses, and so are the elementary schools,” said Darrin Jindra, a former assistant principal at San Juan Hills High School. Jindra is currently an administrator on special assignment, slated to become Director of Safety and Student Services.

Nurses on campus are being trained in NARCAN’s use.

It’s still early in the game, so I would imagine [what is seen as] reluctance, is knowledge not quite there yet. We are still rolling it out, so it’s early in the stages

— Darren Jindra

“It’s still new so we are having to train administrators and train the nurses to make sure we know how we are going to implement it… we are still rolling it out, so it’s early in the stages,” said Jindra. 

SJHHS campus nurse Kerry Coryell says she is excited about the new addition on campus, but concerned about the possibility of the presence of an antidote prompting more overdoses.

“I have mixed feelings only in the regard that I think if somebody is prone to using a substance, an opioid, and finds out they have a rescue plan on campus I don’t know whether that would prompt them to go ahead and do it. On the other hand if someone accidentally did overdose, or took too much of something, or even if it was contaminated with something, I’m glad that we have it on campus because it will save a life,” said Coryell. 

Though, research published in the National Library of Medicine has shown that NARCAN’s availability does not increase any overdose rates. Jindra attributes any potential reluctance to announce the presence of NARCAN on campus to unfamiliarity with the protocols and procedures for its use.

“It’s still early in the game, so I would imagine [what is seen as] reluctance, is knowledge not quite there yet. We are still rolling it out, so it’s early in the stages,” said Jindra. 

Student safety is a top priority for the district. Implementing NARCAN in its schools is their next step towards combating the drug crisis. As NARCAN is being distributed to the school campuses, the district has started training administrators and nurses to ensure the safest and most effective implementation. 

If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction seek help from the school, authorities, or a hotline (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration National Helpline, 1-800-662-HELP). Do not wait to seek help.