Calling all Students, STEPS to Host the “Stallion Olympics”

Kaitlyn Kittredge

The STEPS program is hosting the “Stallion Olympics” on May 16. 12 students in STEPS, including pictured freshman Addy Hayes, will be participating, in addition to many athletes and stallions around campus.

Nikki Iyer, News Editor

The STEPS Department is organizing an upcoming sporting event, “The Stallion Olympics” in hopes of connecting their students with others on campus, including athletes, members of the Best Buddies club, and any Stallions interested in participating. 

The Stallion Olympics will include basketball, football, pickleball, soccer, and track events. Each activity is adapted to meet the needs of students with varying abilities. For instance, in the football event, the goal may be to hit a target with the football, or in basketball the goal may be to take a long distance shot. 

“We want everyone to feel successful. We want everyone to have fun,” said STEPS teacher Mari Weisberg.

In anticipation of “The Stallion Olympics,” students in STEPS have been practicing sports in rotations in their classrooms. The students are ready and excited to compete with other Stallions and create new friendships.

Freshman Jordan Sanchez in the STEPS program is particularly excited about the pickleball section. After first playing the sport in his PE class, his interest led STEPS to include it in the Olympics.

Many students in the STEPS program spend their full school day in the same rooms, so Weisberg hopes the Olympics will give her students an opportunity to explore outside of the classroom.

We want no one to be afraid to come up to our students, and we want our students to feel like they belong and feel like they’re a part of this school as much as anyone else.

— Hailey Cunningham

“We have to be really purposeful to give them opportunities to interact with the larger school and to build friendships outside of just the STEPS classroom,” said Weisberg.

So far, about fifty students, including the 12 students in STEPS, will be participating in the event as organizers, athletes, and cheerleaders. Students interested in volunteering for the event in any position mentioned can visit room B6 or B7 to sign up.

The Stallion Olympics will be on May 16 during periods 3 and 4. STEPS encourages all students to watch the event to cheer the Stallions on, but asks that they receive permission from their 3 and 4 period teachers first.

Simply put, the event is about unity and inclusivity on campus.

“We want no one to be afraid to come up to our students, and we want our students to feel like they belong and feel like they’re a part of this school as much as anyone else,” said STEPS teacher Hailey Cunningham.