Mane Event Adapts to Online Learning

Sydney Wolfe

Video production students watch a video in class during the first week of the hybrid schedule. Students come back to school, wearing masks as in-person learning started up again.

Evan Jones, Staff Writer

In an unprecedented circumstance, many things have changed for the class we have all come to love, the class whose videos we looked forward to every week. 

Although the process to make the Mane Event may be different, the Mane Event will still be featured this year. 

Mane Event is slowly adjusting to the trying times and they are beginning to settle into the new school year. When asked what the biggest challenge in these circumstances had been so far, Mr. Meltreger, new Mane Event Teacher said, “There’s a two-fold answer to that question. One of the biggest challenges is actually managing the technology. The video production lab has a lot of technological challenges. Also, having to broadcast my lessons from my room has been a huge challenge.” 

Mane Event obviously hopes to overcome these challenges in the near future, however, at the moment, they are still settling into the new and strange school year. They have not yet started production of their first video, but as soon as they become more comfortable in the online-schooling environment they will begin filming. “Right now we’re still in the technical aspect. We’re still familiarizing ourselves with the new equipment,” said Meltreger. 

Some of the segments we will produce will feature our students at home using the resources they have available, so there will be a lot of zoom integrated into our segments

— Meltreger

While they have not actually begun the process of filming, students have been given assignments where they pitched ideas for future segments. “I gave an assignment where the kids pitched ideas for the mane event, but we’re also considering what we can and cannot do,” said Meltreger. So, they aren’t currently filming, but they are looking towards the future for when they do decide to film. 

The idea is that the students in Mane Event will film their segments independently meaning that the new segments will involve a lot of home filming. “Some of the segments we will produce will feature our students at home using the resources they have available, so there will be a lot of zoom integrated into our segments”, said Meltreger. This new structure of filming the segments is likely due to the mixture of students learning online and in-person. Meltreger believes that this should not prevent Mane Event from producing segments as always and doing the best they can. “We’re just going to try to do the mane event like always and do the best we can given the circumstances.”. 

However, the challenges not only exist with the circumstances, Meltreger himself has to adjust to teaching his first broadcasting course. He has a plethora of experience in the area of TV Journalism, but has never taught a class on that subject and must still become used to the TV Studio. 

Some students may wonder if the inconsistencies in the segments such as the fact that the segments will contain some content from zoom will detract from the quality of the Mane Event. Despite all of this, Meltreger still believes the Mane Event will retain its quality from over the years and will be just as entertaining.

So, students should expect the same Mane Event they’ve become accustomed to in the past because this year, the Mane Event is still coming.