• The Tan Band Wins Battle of the Bands

• Sofia Votava Wins President's Volunteer Service Award

• Skyla Setzler Wins 2nd in District Poster Competition

• Battle of the Bands Winner to Play Concert at Lunch Friday

• 2019 Stallion of the Year Nominees Announced

• Lila Holley and Sierra Young In Top 15 of OC Register Varsity Artists

Graduation Will Now Be Held in the Badlands

The Badlands is the stadium that holds the home football games, and is made up of two sides of bleachers. In the past, the Badlands has only hosted one graduation.

Photo Courtesy of Grace Stephenson

Photo Courtesy of Grace Stephenson

Photo Courtesy of Grace Stephenson

Lucy Law, Co-Editor in Chief

The Bren Events Center at UCI has been the venue for the past several graduations for SJHHS. After the Bren Center informed SJHHS that they had permanently moved the time for graduation to 7:00PM, officials decided to move graduation to the Badlands Stadium at SJHHS. This decision was made in order to allow students and parents to still have time to celebrate after the ceremony, according to an email sent by Principal Smalley. Graduation is expected to last about 2 hours, starting at 4:00PM. The parking lot and stadium will open at 2:30PM, and graduates have been asked to report to the gymnasium at 3:00PM.

What are your thoughts Stallions? Do you like the idea of having graduation at SJHHS? What are your concerns? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucy Law, Co Editor-in-Chief

Lucy is a senior at SJHHS and is excited to be returning for her third year for The Express as Co Editor-in-Chief. When she’s not writing, you can find...

64 Comments

64 Responses to “Graduation Will Now Be Held in the Badlands”

1. Alison on February 14th, 2019 12:37 PM

I think having graduation in the badlands is a terrible idea. Because it is. Its going to be boiling hot, considering we in Southern California and its going to be in JUNE. My sister takes medication where if shes in the sun too long and gets too hot, she passes out. This is a terrible idea. It makes old people who visiting to see their grandkids graduate miserable and cranky. All of the graduates are going to be in long sleeves and hats. They will sweat and be miserable. This sucks, in short. My family will be upset, and so will I. Thank you!

2. Grace B on February 14th, 2019 12:38 PM

NO!!!!!! I want us to stay different from the other schools! There are also many disadvantages to having graduation outside. People can faint and get very grouchy! This is not okay. There are some people that can’t be in the sun for too long too because they will get very sick. THIS CAN’T HAPPEN

3. Luciana on February 14th, 2019 12:45 PM

I’m really excited for this! I’ve been jealous in the past of other schools getting graduate at the school they spent the last four years at, so this is going to be really fun! And for those worried about the heat, use the program as a fan or bring your own.

4. Iridiana Farias on February 14th, 2019 12:55 PM

WE DID NOT WAIT 4 YEARS TO HAVE GRADUATION AT THE BADLANDS!!!! There are 1000 reasons why graduation at the badlands is going to be a disaster. There is not enough parking (there isn’t enough for football games let alone GRADUATION) There isn’t enough seating (the Bren Center gets filled there won’t be enough in our stadium) There is not air conditioning (it’s going to be hot!!! I don’t know about you guys but I don’t want to be melting during graduation I’m not trying to look like an oily rag in my pictures) I rather have graduation at 7 than at 4 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LETS NOT HAVE GRADUATION AT SJHHS!

5. Izzy on February 14th, 2019 1:22 PM

This is a horrible idea. The badlands is a horrible place for graduation because of the lack of parking as well as the fact that it will be burning hot and families will have to sit in the beaming sun for two hours. The Bren center is so nice and I have gone to two graduations there and it has been great. THIS CANNOT HAPPEN TO THE CLASS OF 2019!

6. Elliot MacAdam on February 14th, 2019 1:23 PM

nope. nah. sorry this is not a good idea. for the older people, for the parking, and quite frankly for everyone, this is a terrible idea. #bringbackthebren

7. Autumn Ground on February 14th, 2019 1:34 PM

I understand that 7:00 at the Bren Center would be later than usual but I think people would prefer that. Dealing with parking and tickets is already difficult at the bren center, which is significantly larger than the badlands. I know people would want their family to be there for support and I’m afraid the badlands just doesn’t have the room or parking to provide that. It’d be really cool but realistically it would be too difficult to have it at Sjhhs.

8. Isabelle on February 14th, 2019 1:44 PM

It makes me sad to hear this news. Years and years of watching graduates and friends and family walk across the stage at the Bren Center and sitting in the audience awaiting the day it would be my turn is never going to be a reality. I had always imagined walking across that stage on june 5, and now the result is the badlands. what about parking? weather? heat? room in the stands? handicap? grandparents wanting to enjoy the moment but over packed stands in the way. we can barely fit enough students in our student section but yet every senior has 5+ tickets and guests coming. is this realistic? is this what
    the students want. is this how we want to remember our senior graduation- a huge milestone for the class of 2019.

9. Bianca on February 14th, 2019 1:56 PM

When I found out graduation was going to be held at school I got really disappointed and when others found out I knew that had been let down too. I remember going to my sister’s hs graduation where they held theirs outside and it was an absolute disaster. A lot of people got really overheated and we’re almost dehydrated by the time it was over. I also remember the seats being extremely hot so they burned sitting down. Also the people graduating nor those in the audience received what should have been a positive experience because it is a big moment. Also for all those who wore makeup, it was basically all messed up so pictures weren’t too hot after. Graduation is supposed to be fun and worry free. Although it would be hosted at a later time and possibly conflict with senior night( I hardly know anyone who is going) it would be much better to have it at the UCI Bren Events Center.

10. Sianna on February 14th, 2019 2:04 PM

I think this is a horrible idea. I overhear some people describing it as great because of the fact that we would be the second class to graduate at the school, but I attended the first for my sister and it was not a good experience. Quite possibly, one of the worst graduation ceremonies I’ve ever been to. We had to park at Ladera Ranch Middle School where a shuttle would pick us up and take us to the school. Was overall a horrible experience because of the lack of space on the shuttle that resulted in a wait time for a ride and the hassle of having to find the exact spot as to where the shuttle was stationed. I’m not from Ladera Ranch, so it made this experience even worse because of the unfamiliar surroundings. When we had finally made it to the Badlands, we rushed to the stands to find a space where my family of ten would fit, which resulted in some of us having the burden of standing. It wasn’t just the seating that was a problem, it was the sun beaming down on my younger siblings and my mother who can’t stay in the sun for a large period of time. Finding your child after graduation is a hassle enough at the Bren Center, but imagine trying to find them in such an enclosed space like the snack bar. Not only this, but imagine having to go back and hop on the shuttle just to get to your car, whereas at UCI, it is a larger space for families and loved ones to wait for their graduate and you don’t have to wait in line just to get to your car and finally celebrate. This is not what I want my family to go through, again. As a graduate of Class of 2019, sitting in the blistering heat with a long-sleeved gown over a dress with a cap on my head, does not sound tempting. I do not want to look back to my high school graduation and see a picture of a sweaty, grumpy face. I don’t care for the time that graduation starts, but what I do care about is the experience and having it on our football field does not sound like a good one. I’ve been to two graduations at UCI and one at the Badlands, and I was excited that I got to experience mine at the former, but am now disappointed that I will have a parting memory of the Badlands, a bad one.

11. Luciana on February 14th, 2019 2:18 PM

I want to add that I think holding graduation in the badlands is actually a lot more convenient for many SJHHS families that maybe don’t have the ability to get to Irvine as easily as others. Again, for those worried about the heat, fans & umbrellas are allowed. Other schools in our district do it this way & as far as I remember, all the grandparents at Dana and San Clemente were fine & didn’t faint. I do concede parking is an issue but I’m sure the school will provide options like shuttles. Also, since graduation is the senior class rather than the whole school going to the Badlands, comparing the parking to football games isn’t totally accurate. Also, families & students can always carpool & arrive early.

12. Derek on February 14th, 2019 2:19 PM

Two letters. A C. I want to feel nothing else than sweet old cold air when I’m getting my diploma. If I get one drop of sweat on my diploma, my robe, or my hat I’m gonna be pissed. To look out into a center of thousands of people is a magical feeling, and to take that away and replace it with chairs on a football field! I am strongly opposed to this whole idea. If this isn’t fixed, there will be a sea of people left angry and disappointed, and it isn’t a way I would want to finish high school.

13. Ava Bachelder on February 14th, 2019 2:29 PM

you guys know that it’s serious when i completely agree with elliot lol… there must be another option we could figure out, or else we should just keep it at the bren events center. i think we all would rather alter our celebration plans than be miserable during the actual event. let’s not make graduation more stressful than it already is for students and families! #bringbackthebren

14. audrey on February 14th, 2019 2:37 PM

NOOOOO WE CANT HAVE GRADUATION AT THE BADLANDS!!!! everyone was expecting to graduate at the place they wanted to which is an air condition room with enough space for everyone! having it at the badlands will result in so much chaos and everyone will be miserable sitting on the uncomfortable bleachers with no back rest. my grandparents need back support!!😡🥵

15. Sofia Votava on February 14th, 2019 3:07 PM

This is not a good idea!! Since there is limited parking, it makes one of the best moments of our lives even more stressful. We will also be sitting on the turf, which makes it 10x hotter. It will be more difficult for friends and family to take pictures of the event due to the harsh sunset lighting and positioning of the bleachers. ):

16. Nicole on February 14th, 2019 3:29 PM

I don’t think this is a great idea because all other graduates got to graduate at a venue and I don’t think most seniors want to be out in the hot sun for hours.

17. Altez Crawford on February 14th, 2019 3:32 PM

I don’t go to San Juan Hills #onetownoneteam

18. Tiffany on February 14th, 2019 3:57 PM

This is dumb

19. Kenyi on February 14th, 2019 4:01 PM

This is possibly the worst idea that has come from the school. I didn’t wait four years to have my graduation at school. I’ve been dreaming to celebrate graduation at the Bren Center and now that is ruined. There are a thousand reasons to not have graduation at the Badlands. I am super disappointed with our school and this needs to change!

20. Anonymous on February 14th, 2019 4:10 PM

No thanks. Why did Mrs. Smalley decide that for the class of 2019 and not have the class of 2019 having a say in this. This is wack.

21. seyla on February 14th, 2019 4:12 PM

nope.

22. no on February 14th, 2019 4:18 PM

No

23. Neema on February 14th, 2019 4:33 PM

As someone who has experienced a field graduation first hand, this is quite possibly one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. I don’t know what admin is thinking with this decision, but they better correct this. Soon. I can understand wanting to graduate at the place you spent four years at. It seems like a great idea in theory, but if you’ve ever sat outside for hours on a hot California afternoon wearing layers and robe, then you’ll know this is a poor course of action. Not only for the graduating seniors, as someone else pointed out, older people can even faint in extreme heat, especially since temperatures in the summer can climb as high as 100 degrees. This is not the only reason that the Badlands graduation is a poor decision, as parking will also be a mess. For those who don’t know, the Bren Center has a legitimate parking structure. A structure designed to hold a large amount of cars. This structure not only gets very busy, but it cannot hold all the cars coming in and they have to park elsewhere. You think that the parking lot of our school, the same parking lot that cannot hold a junior and senior class, will be able to do much better? People need to think big picture, beyond just the “cute” idea of graduating at our school, for the sake of convenience and safety, the Bren center is by far a much better decision. But I guess that’s only my opinion. #bringbackthebren

24. Madison Beebe on February 14th, 2019 4:36 PM

This is such a big bummer because parking is gonna be terrible if we all are inviting our families & since it’s during the summer, it is going to be insanely hot outside

25. Celia on February 14th, 2019 4:52 PM

As a senior at Sjhhs, I do not agree with the decision that was made by our officials of moving graduation to the stadium, I think we should have had the opportunity to decide whether or not we wanted to keep the graduation at the Bren Center as a class because it is our graduation. By latest we would be out of there by 9:30pm. There is more space at UCI than at our stadium considering that most of the students will have at least 4 members attends. I have a big family and little siblings that will not sit still to enjoy the moment we have been waiting so long for, when they have the sun in their faces the whole time. Even though it seems like a good idea, the first graduation at the stadium wasn’t the best so please, if the official still have the opportunity to change it back to the Bren Center, please do!

26. Jennah on February 14th, 2019 5:17 PM

having graduation in the badlands is not a good idea. we have all waited 4 years to graduate at the bren center, and now they are switching it up on us?! the class of 2019 needs to have a memorable graduation ceremony, and having it in the bandlands is a terrible idea. parking would be too chaotic, sitting in the heat (especially the graduates on the turf) would make everyone feel cranky and uncomfortable in their seats, and we wouldn’t be able to fit everyone on the bleachers. I would much rather have it at a later time at the bren center than in the badlands.

27. Anon on February 14th, 2019 6:03 PM

Many of my family members have all graduated from the brens center and every single time I go I imagine myself going in that stage, I disagree with this decision 100% I believe they should have made this a class decision. #BacktoBrenscenter

28. LR on February 14th, 2019 6:08 PM

As a senior at sjhhs I believe that having our graduation at the badlands is a horrible idea and disagree 100%. I’ve had many friends and Family in the past to graduate at the Brens center and I’d like to follow their steps and do the same..This should have been the Class of 2019s and our parents decision, it came to an unpleasant surprise hearing this.

29. Ashley Nannis on February 14th, 2019 6:14 PM

I am honestly H E A T E D about this. We are too far away from the ocean to get even a single breeze!!! This is not okay! It will be scorching hot. I have been looking forward to graduating at UCI since freshman year.

30. Anonymous on February 14th, 2019 6:24 PM

NOOOOO!!!
    #bringbackthebren

31. anthea on February 14th, 2019 6:45 PM

In response to Luciana, I’m sure people would much rather spend a little extra time driving to have the opportunity that all the other senior classes have been priveleged to have, which is to enjoy graduation in an air conditioned, lofty space over driving only a few minutes but then being forced to sit out in the sun and not be able to have that great of a view from pretty much any angle. Sure, they can bring fans or use the programs, but often times, that doesn’t help them to cool off. It actually causes your body to overheat even more because you’re spending so much more of your energy just to wave your arm. Also, I’m not too fond of the umbrella idea considering that people would probably be squished shoulder to shoulder on the bleachers to try to fit everyone in (which isn’t gonna happen regardless), so it would be inconvenient for others to have someone block their view with an umbrella. The only thing that sounds worse than having to sit through a graduation outside in the heat is not being able to see your family member or friend actually walk up and get their diploma because someone decided to use an umbrella. Also, the shuttles only make it more inconvenient for people to get to the school because they have to park at LRMS or another school and wait for the shuttle, so it’s not like they just drive to SJHHS, so in the end, it’d be way more worth it to just drive to UCI. And yes, graduation is just the senior class, but it would still be way more packed and chaotic than football games due to the fact that everyone’s families and friends are going to be there. Way more people are going than just the seniors themselves so yes it will be more people than at the football games. To admin: summed up, we want you to #bringbackthebren or at least try to find another venue if at all possible.

32. Kaitlyn Williams on February 14th, 2019 7:10 PM

This is such a horrible idea. We should have had a say in this because after all we are the ones graduating. It will be too hot for not only us but also our family members. I can’t have my elderly grandparents standing because of there not being enough seats. Not to mention girls wearing heals will have a hard time walking on the turf. We won’t be able to fit everyone’s families and friends because we can’t even fit everyone at football games. People that want to celebrate still can the next day or that weekend. You can always celebrate but you only get to graduate from high school once. And just because other schools graduate on their fields doesn’t mean that they enjoy it.

33. Sally Jensen on February 14th, 2019 7:12 PM

Noooooo… this makes me want to not even show up to graduation. I have always had the expectations of graduating at the UCI bren center. The fact that this is even an idea is crazy. All those 4 years of hard work to not even graduate like all the other classes before us?? Might as well have gone to capo or dana :/

34. Anonymous on February 14th, 2019 7:16 PM

If y’all want to graduate at the Bren center so bad and have been imagining it for years go to UCI for COLLEGE. We are seniors at San Juan Hills and we should graduate on its field. It seems like a lot of peoples arguments boil down to no AC and parking which the other schools in our district seem to manage. I don’t want to finish graduating at nine maybe 10 PM at night. I want to have a nice dinner with my family after an important day and if that means I have to sit in the sun for a little while, then I’ll bring a fan & a blotting sheet & be fine

35. Stephanie Goldbaum on February 14th, 2019 7:23 PM

Since we probably can’t do anything changing the venue, let’s think of the positives. First, it’s closer to home so you don’t have to stress about leaving at the crack of dawn to get a seat or even a parking spot at the school. At the Bren center last year, I left 2 hours early and still ended up being late to the ceremony because of having to park half a mile away because of the traffic. Parking anywhere at SJHHS or even shuttling from LRMS or the Escensia K-8 is less walking for anyone going to graduation. Also, if you read the email from Principal Smalley, every graduate is given one parking spot for their family and is allowed to enter a lottery for a second spot so there’s a 100% guarantee that you yourself will be able to find parking for at least your immediate family. Second, in California we have June gloom which means it might not be scorching hot on the day of graduation…there’s hope! Third, pictures! There are more places to take pictures and it can be with signs of our school rather than a location we’re not super familiar with. Also, for those of you saying you would rather have 7:00 graduation, that is cheating many seniors on having a full grad night! Why waste those two hours when those going to grad night could be having more fun? While you may feel like you’re getting cheated of your graduation, just remember that it’s only a two hour ceremony and all you’re doing is walking up to get a piece of paper with your name on it. Think more positively rather than dwelling on the negative and you’ll have a good experience. Guaranteed.

36. Luciana Benzan on February 14th, 2019 7:45 PM

Stephanie, I think that’s an awesome way to put it. Here’s to a positive graduation, wherever we are!

37. Sianna on February 14th, 2019 7:56 PM

After seeing two comments about people WANTING to graduate at school, I am heated enough to comment again. Umbrellas only give you less space, the inconvenience of holding it, and people not taking other behind them into consideration.If you wanted to graduate at your campus, any other school in the CUSD district would have been a nice fit for you. I, along with 99% of our senior class has looked forward to a ceremony at the UCI Bren Events Center. Not only do I see it as the sensible choice of location, but I also see it as a gateway to college. What better way to get ready for college, then graduating at one? Like I said in my comment above, I’ve experienced a graduation on our football field and it was all around inconvenient for all families- the reason why we switched the venue in the first place. If we can’t hold space for football games, how are we going to fit a minimum of 5 people per senior? I, myself am going to have more than double that, and I know that I am not the only one with a big family. What did our class do to deserve this burden?

38. Ksksksksk on February 14th, 2019 8:02 PM

Wuz good y’all?! Y’all really be pressed about this issue. I literally can’t believe a lot of y’all have a problem with sitting out in the sun for like 2 hours. This is the definition of first world problems. There are people working all day under the sun. Some people gotta chill… Does it really matter where we graduate? In the end, we are just getting a paper that says we graduated.

39. SaDiE on February 14th, 2019 8:14 PM

this idea is absolute trash. I don’t wanna be a sweaty mess at graduation, being blinded by the glare from the bleachers. fans and programs won’t work, umbrellas will obstruct the view of others, there won’t be enough parking (even with each family getting one parking spot because students still have to drive and get there somehow), old people will be dropping like flies, people will be packed in and miserable, and it would just be an overall unenjoyable experience. It may just be “walking up to get a piece of paper with your name on it” to some people, but i’d assume for most of the class of 2019 that this is a huge moment to us. I don’t want to have to worry about all the things that could go wrong at the field. Graduation is a once in a lifetime experience that marks one of the biggest transitions of our lives. i’m sure people’s families and friends can wait until the next day to have dinner and celebrate. anyways, I think graduating in the Badlands is a bad plan. #bringbackthebren

40. Olivia on February 14th, 2019 8:23 PM

Dropping a casual reminder that we live in SoCal (a hot place), & hosting a lengthy graduation ceremony in which I need to wear heels, a dress, & a robe at 4pm sounds brutal. I didn’t spend four exciting years at SJHHS just to sweat it out on some sticky turf.

41. Mia on February 14th, 2019 8:39 PM

I understand that it was believed to be a smarter idea to just hold it in the badlands because of the timing it would have to be held at if it was at the bren center. Clearly if the comments above are being read, 99.9% of us are not bothered by graduation at 7pm in Irvine. It would be way more enjoyable for every person attending to have it at the bren center. It should be about the class of 2019 and how hard we have worked over the last 12 years. It shouldn’t have to be about how uncomfortably hot it is outside, how horrible the seating is in the badlands, and how inconvenient it will be to have to park at some middle school, to shuttle to the school because parking is a problem. It is just a bummer to hear this news and to not have much of a say about it

42. No on February 14th, 2019 9:05 PM

NO PLEASE DONT DO THIS TO US! It’s not fair!!!!!! CLASS OF 2019 THIS WILL BE THE WORST GRADUATION EVER IN HISTORY. THINK ABOUT IT NOOOO PARKING EVER

43. Trinity on February 14th, 2019 9:11 PM

This is horrible. All of my sisters have graduated from San Juan hills at the UCI campus and now I’m the last one- only to graduate at the badlands. Huge disappointment.

44. Bianca on February 14th, 2019 9:11 PM

There’s not even enough seats at UCI Bren Events Center and there’s always people standing up. Plus each class naturally gets bigger each year

45. Erica on February 14th, 2019 9:16 PM

I think having graduation at the badlands is a HORRIBLE IDEA!!! My cousins graduated outside and their caps and gowns were all black! It was so hot and miserable. We brought umbrellas (thank god) but still it was so sunny and hot. I feel bad for the class of 2019, they got to see every class before them graduate at this air conditioned stadium but now that they are finally here they get to sit in the hot sun. We live Southern California and it is almost always hot in June. This is a terrible idea!!

46. amanda haimes on February 14th, 2019 10:46 PM

I’ve been waiting for graduation at the Bren Center since my brother graduated 4 years ago… Would kinda be disappointed to have it on the football field.

47. Hannah Hughitt on February 14th, 2019 11:22 PM

Just when I thought I couldn’t like admin any less they surprise me once again! I can hardly handle a 15 minute fire drill on the field in mid october, so I have no clue how any of us are going to be able to handle two hours in the hot june sun. This is probably the stupidest decision they’ve made thus far right behind putting Kaiser on leave #freebill #bringbackthebren

48. Nope on February 14th, 2019 11:45 PM

Heck nah pls

49. Devon Frieze on February 14th, 2019 11:53 PM

I don’t even know where to begin with the problems here because there are honestly way too many. Each senior is given like 10 graduation tickets to give to their family and have the option to buy more than that, there will literally be thousands of people at this event and that isn’t even an exaggeration. Do the Badlands really look like thousands will fit?? NO. There will be people sitting on top of each other and people will be miserable when they’re supposed to be watching their loved ones graduate high school but they’re too focused on how squished they are. Not to mention the heat, as many people have already mentioned. Grandparents are gonna hate being in the heat and honestly everyone else is too. I can picture this in my head right now being totally miserable and a nightmare when it’s supposed to be one of the most memorable dahs of our lives and our parents lives. This is bottom line just the worst thing ever I’m so against it and it’s obvious just about everything else is too.

50. Melanie Rooten on February 15th, 2019 12:31 AM

I think Stephanie put it perfectly! Sometimes situations in life don’t go as planned, but that doesn’t necesarily mean it’s a bad thing! Graduation is a close on 12+ years of school and a start to the next chapter of our lives, so it should ultimately be an exciting day for all of us, regardless of where we are. Rather than complaining about the venue change, something that’s out of our control, I feel as though we should enter our graduation with an open mind and focus on the positives. I’m not trying to convince you all that graduation in the Badlands is a great idea, but i’m just expressing how I am personally going to handle this situation in order to make the most out of this special day, and to end my high school experience on a good note :))

51. Sydney on February 15th, 2019 1:30 AM

This is straight up stupid. I cant think of one person who is excited about this besides Luciana and she’s just trying to be positive,, so if they don’t fix this we’ll just remember having the worst graduation ever and getting screwed over once again! Hopefully the entire class can transfer schools before graduation day xoxo

52. claire on February 15th, 2019 1:31 AM

no parking, no space, and no air conditioning! many families travel to see their loved ones graduate and it would be a shame to waste what is supposed to be a happy and celebratory day! i’m sure the students, grandparents, and parents with small children would all agree that a 7pm graduation would be preferable to a long, hot, and uncomfortable experience in the badlands.
    literally nobody wants to sit there hoping that their graduation will end so that they can get out of the sun.

53. Graduate#2741 on February 15th, 2019 10:24 AM

I do t think any senoir in this class would mind having a graduation at 7:00, having a graduation outside in hot weather in thick robes and hats is worse in comparison. Grad night is fun yes but I doubt anyone would mind moving it further back, we’re teenagers we are most active at night. I wanted a graduation like my sibling’s, now I won’t. God why didn’t they ask us first?

54. anonymous on February 15th, 2019 12:36 PM

Graduating in the same place we have been working hard at for the last four years is an honor. Walking alongside my peers in a place that holds years of memories for me is exciting. As someone who has attended graduations at high school stadiums before, it really isn’t as bad as it is hyped up to be. Parking will be compensated for with one spot per student as well as shuttle options. Fans, programs, and umbrellas will help with the heat that REALLY isn’t THAT bad in June. Was sincerely happy to hear about the location change 🙂

55. Nina on February 15th, 2019 1:45 PM

No this is so stupid !!!

56. Anonymous on February 15th, 2019 3:53 PM

Where’s that petition on not having the graduation at the badlands.

57. Kaitlyn Ord on February 16th, 2019 10:10 AM

I would rather not walk if it’s going to be at the badlands. I have watched all my siblings graduate from UCI and I would too. I want to know who messed up in the planning and missed reserving the Bren Events center. And why does are class have to pay for that mess up.

58. Austin A on February 16th, 2019 10:52 AM

This is blasphemy. Last year, in my back-supported seats and air conditioned gym I enjoyed my brothers graduation. Now how are all our grouchy grandparents going to enjoy this one, when if I remember correctly on graduation day a year ago it was over a hundred degrees? All I heard about was the miserable sun and the heat and that’s all everyone in the whole stadium this year will be complaining about if it is held in the badlands, and how if just we could’ve went to Bren event center at 7. This isn’t even the worst part. Imagine your parents giving your 3 older siblings a car for their 18th birthday, now how are excited are you the day before you’re 18th? Welp, here’s some socks and a movie ticket. I’ve looked forward all these years to have a different, special graduation at the Bren events center, so bring it back. #bringbackthebren #boycott

59. Uriel on February 20th, 2019 1:16 PM

Why don’t we take graduation, and push it somewhere else????????

60. Gia on February 20th, 2019 1:22 PM

this is a bad idea. Even if admin . does give parking aid, such as shuttles, there is only one way in and out of the school. Unlike schools like San Clemente and Dana Hills who have multiple ways to get in and out.

61. Brandon Duplanty on February 20th, 2019 1:25 PM

I think we need more say in what we want. We spent 4 years going here every week for 9 months doing everything we were assigned and told to do. Now it’s our celebration of moving on to our next steps in life and we have no say?? Like what??

62. DeShun Edwards on February 20th, 2019 1:25 PM

I would rather not hold the graduation at San Juan Hills. After attending SJHHS for 4 years, basically every week, for 5 days a week.I would rather not have one of the most important days/moments of my life be held at somewhere I have been for most of my school life.

63. Cate Petersen on March 11th, 2019 4:11 PM

Even if one spot is given to each student, the traffic getting into and out of graduation is going to be awful. If the spots are allocated by number people are going to be lining up hours before just to get a good spot. Also my family can’t all fit in ONE car, and my car has 8 seats. I personally do not want to sit on chairs on the turf for two hours and then have my family not be able to see me when I finally get my diploma that I’ve worked so hard for. Responding to the point of Grad Night, since people signed contracts could the date of graduation be changed instead? I know it isn’t exactly the same as it would be but it could allow for us to graduate at the Bren center. Case in point, bring back the Bren Center.

64. Eli Chon on March 11th, 2019 6:07 PM

Hi, my grandparents are unable to sit in the heat, hence they will not be able to attend if graduation is held at the BaDLAndS. :/

• Graduation Will Now Be Held in the Badlands

News

It’s TAN Time!!

News

Share a Smile Club Raises Money for Children’s Smiles

News

Excess Water Causes Facilities Problems

News

Why Graduation Was Moved to the Badlands

News

School Board Cuts Current Policy On Bullying In Two

News

SJHHS Embraces Diversity with DIRHA Program

News

Academic Decathlon Beats Every Other School In CUSD

News

Giovanna Cortes Wins AVID Senior Standout

News

SJHHS Celebrates Other Countries During Multicultural Week

News

Walk for Wellness Raises Awareness For Suicide Prevention