Athletes Sign Their National Letter of Intent

Katie Brubaker

Five Seniors signed their National Letters of Intent on February 6 during tutorial. Cade Albright will be playing Football at Brigham Young University, and his teammate Carson Lewis will also be playing Football at the University of San Diego. Angelica Gonzalez will be playing Softball at Iowa State University, and her teammate, Phoebe Popplewell will be playing Softball at Ottawa University. Joshua Rauterkus signs his Letter of Intent to play Baseball at Whittier College.

Isabella Mahar, Staff Writer

Five SJHHS student athletes signed their National Letters of Intent on February 6,  committing to continue their sports in college.

The students are going across the country, to play in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I, III and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics teams in different  sports.

In Division I, Cade Albright committed to  Brigham Young University and Carson Lewis committed to the University of San Diego for football. Angelica Gonzalez committed to Iowa State University for softball.

I like the Midwest, the coaches are super nice, and I get to play softball which is my dream

— Angelica Gonzalez

In Division III, Joshua Rauterkus will be attending Whittier College for baseball.

Lastly, Phoebe Popplewell will be attending  Ottawa University, for softball, which, unlike the schools above, is not a NCAA university, but a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics school. “It’s NAIA, so it’s a different division than the NCAA, but they are looking to move up to the NCAA while I’m there,” Popplewell said.

The softball and football programs had the highest turnout in athletes in SJHHS history, with two for each.

By signing their National Letter of Intent these athletes are committing to play at the universities, and they cannot back out of going to and playing for that university, even if they get offers from other schools.

The students are all attending their respective schools for different reasons, such as because of the location and the programs. “I like the Midwest, the coaches are super nice, and I get to play softball which is my dream,” Gonzalez said.

“It’s close to home, it’s only an hour away and I have family up there too. I fell in love with the school. I visited over the summer, and it’s a smaller school, so it’s a good faculty to student ratio and I liked it. I liked the style of the school. I also liked the students there and they seemed very into everything and invested in the school. So it all seemed like it was the right place for me,” Rauterkus said.